SS competitors of mpx3
Oct 15, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 17
dynahi/dynamite, gilmore reference

Oct 15, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 17
In addition to the Gilmore line, the higher end Headroom offerings are very good. I've personally heard the balanced Home w/ Max modules and DAC w/ HD650's, and it's one of my favorite sounds (including the R10/Supra XLR and HE90/ES-1, albeit all under meet conditions). I haven't heard enough of its solid-state competitors to give any comparisons, but its another option to consider.

Oct 15, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm with hungrych. I've found tube combinations in my amps that satisfy me entirely with every kind of music I listen to.

Oct 15, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 17
I'd probably try something like a 6gu7 for your tube amp or someithng like the GS-1.

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
What are the solid state amps considered competitors of mpx3?

I just feel tubes introduce too much coloration, the effect is magical when syngergistic, but and I like to listen to a wide variety of music. Can't be powering down, switching tubes, powering up, wait 15 minutes for warm up, etc.

To colored for what headphone? When you can fine tune a headamp to the degree you can with a mpx3 you are likely going to favor one headphone over another with each particular tube set. If you go solid state you will have one sonic signature and no option to change the sound. I have yet to find a SS amp that has optimal sound quality for all of my headphones. In fact, I have never had a SS amp that sounded better than my tube amps with any of my headphones.

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 17
You may want to ask Mikhail about his SS amps.

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tagosaku
Is there an adaptor so you can use 6sn7 as driver?
I might be wrong, but I thougth 6sn7 has more varieties.

I dont think his problem is tube selection. He doesnt want to change to tubes to a synergistic tube set for a particular headphone .... each time he changes headphones. I think he believes there is a solid state amp that will be uncolored enough to suite all his headphones. But the headphones in his equipment profile all have signifigantly different sound signatures and coloration themselves.

Oct 16, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 17
much depends on what headphones to drive,

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
What are the solid state amps considered competitors of mpx3?

I just feel tubes introduce too much coloration, the effect is magical when syngergistic, but and I like to listen to a wide variety of music. Can't be powering down, switching tubes, powering up, wait 15 minutes for warm up, etc.

I see on your profile you have the HD650 and the K701. Although I would not call it a competitor see if you can listen to a Heed CanAmp which has a list price of $400. You could give Dan a call for his price at:

Dan Muzquiz
Blackbird Audio/Gallery
619-449-2787
http://www.blackbirdaudio.com

Oct 16, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 17
The thing is, I bought my mpx3 slam used. It has some upgrades: "Solen stage 2 power supply upgrade, Jenson coupling cap upgrade, and preamp out option"

The original owner had hd650's. I just get the feeling that the amp is voiced for the hd650. With the 650's it sounds really incredible, but 650's IMO only do specific kinds of music very well. With the k701's it feels like a SS would be better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back