SS Amp for My Setup
Feb 4, 2012 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aspenx

100+ Head-Fier
Need some advice for a new solid-state amp for my setup.

I'm running:
Laptop --> Audio-Gd Digital Interface --> Audio-Gd NFB2 --> Lehmann BCL Clone --> Audio Technica W1000X

Most of the time, I listen to (K-)pop and some female vocals.

I really like the sound of the Luxman P-1U with the W1000X, which I always make a habit to listen to whenever I get the chance).

I realised that my setup is less... "musical" for lack of a better word. With some music, it can sound a little hollowed out.

I'd like to get a SS amp that will make me forget about the gear, and be immersed in the music a little more. A little more bloom, control in the trebles but with an added touch of sparkle will be nice.

I do not mind less-known brands or commissioning a custom DIY amplifier and have actually shortlisted a few amplifiers that I think I can somewhat afford:

1. AMB M^3
2. Burson HA-160
3. Audio-Gd C2.2
4. AMB Beta22 (3 channels probably. overkill much?)
5. ???

Will like to hear what you guys/girls think.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
The Violectric V200 has a nice touch of warmth and fits into your price range.

Thanks for the input.

I thought the amplifiers I listed were in the sub $1000 price range though (except for the Beta22.....).

I'll read up on the V200 nevertheless.

Would be nice if I could find some input from AT woodies users with the amp.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I thought the amplifiers I listed were in the sub $1000 price range though (except for the Beta22.....).

I'll read up on the V200 nevertheless.

Would be nice if I could find some input from AT woodies users with the amp.

Sorry, I haven't read any impressions from AT users.

The US distributor's retail price for the V200 is $999 but it's cheaper from Violectric's website.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

Sorry, I haven't read any impressions from AT users.

The US distributor's retail price for the V200 is $999 but it's cheaper from Violectric's website.

$999 is indeed in the sub-$1000 range, although it's pushing it already. 
ph34r.gif

Actually, the $1000 I was thinking about is in terms of Singapore dollars, which is valued at 80 US cents per dollar. haha.

I just stumbled on the official Violectric's site. Thanks!

Looks like there's a lot more research I can do on this piece of gear.

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Leaning towards the Audio-Gd solution for the perceived price-performance ratio.

Appreciate more comments. Especially since the C2.2 is hardly reviewed properly...

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Just to report that I've settled with the C2.2 with ACSS connection. It's quite a step up from my BCL clone to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back