SS amp for low impedance headphones <250£
Jun 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonkersaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graham Slee Novo maybe? I'm about to try the headphone amp on a Beresford TC-7520 dac to see if its all cracked up to be.

What do you mean?
ph34r.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 25
The nice thing about wanting a ss amp for a low impedance phone is that one of the main problems in phone and amp matching (impedance mismatch) is taken out of the equation, so any SS phone amp will work and the question becomes synergy.

Below your price, I would say take a look at the EC/SS by eddie current, maybe the shanling ph100, and the kicas amp for commercial pickings. Gilmore lite also. There may be a couple more, but those three are pretty good amps for the money. That said, your best bang for the buck will come with DIY, if you are willing to go that route. There are several DIY amps in your range which are very good. One is the CK2III, the amp that I am running at the moment. $200 and very good with grados.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 25
Meier's Corda Swing should be able to put ~ 1W into 32 Ohm cans from the published specs

A used HeadFive should be similarly capable with low Z cans

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 25
If your budget is ~$400, I would get something a little higher up on the food chain than the creek amps. They are not bad, but you can get a lot more within your budget.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meier's Corda Swing should be able to put ~ 1W into 32 Ohm cans from the published specs

Seems to much for easy to drive phones
ph34r.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 25
buffered op amp composites with +/-12 to +/-15 Vsupply are a very good formula for headphone amps that can handle a range of cans for the price

as long as the gain doesn't cause hiss with the 32 Ohm cans these amps should be OK driving most cans, including higher Z K701, HD600/650, 250 Ohm Beyers... maybe 600 Ohm cans or K1000 would like a little more V swing

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Below your price, I would say take a look at the EC/SS by eddie current.

Very very nice, but I found it at 429 $ in the US

so... 429$ + FedEx + 20% VAT makes it go out of budget....
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 25
I've got the gs novo paired with a set of sr325i's and really like the results. Before that i was running them on a creek obh-21 (not the se) with the obh-2 power supply. I much prefer the novo. The creek was very detailed but at times it bordered on being harsh. The novo has the same amount of detail but just enough warmth to prevent harshness setting in, its a musical little bugger too.

But ymmv.

cheers

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head Direct EF-1 Hybrid. Power of a S/S with the flavor and tube rolling possibilites of one little tube.

EF1 / Kicas Caliente.

One is tube hybrid, one is all discrete. Both great designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back