SS Amp for ~70Ω Headphones
Aug 1, 2012 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

Upgraditis has struck :wink:

I am looking to purchase a desktop amp for my two lower impedance headphones: JVC HP-DX1000 and MDR-SA5000.

So far, after a bit of research I have found the SPL Auditor. It does only have balanced input, and I only have unbalanced DAC output, but SPL recommend RCA to XLR adaptors that will get rid of this problem. I also thought about Meier Classic and HeadAmp GS-1, but that is really hard to find with EU voltage.

It would not hurt if the amp had a DAC, but only if the price is not over $1200 and the DAC is of good quality with high-res support and Coax input.

What do you all think?

TIA,
Szadzik

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 19
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 19
Aug 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Unless your bent on spending a bunch of money, why not try a Schiit Asgard. Seems like everyone that owns one likes it(a lot).

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1

I am not set on just spending money, I am set on gettign something at least on the level of my headphones. 

Schiit products are known for their good value for money, but are also known for buzzing issues etc.

Another thing is, that if I buy a product from the US, I will pay a lot for shipping and then add extra for customs. For that money, I can get a much better amp from EU.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

I am not set on just spending money, I am set on gettign something at least on the level of my headphones. 

Schiit products are known for their good value for money, but are also known for buzzing issues etc.

Another thing is, that if I buy a product from the US, I will pay a lot for shipping and then add extra for customs. For that money, I can get a much better amp from EU.

If you had a location in your profile, we know! My two Schiit products are dead silent mechanically and sonically. And I'd be surprised if there were no EU dealers.

From my past dozen or so Head amps over the last 20~25 years, there's been no other brand(I've found) that gives so much bang for the buck. My MF X-CanV3 came close at $400., but it only became a hiEnd amp after a couple hundred dollars in mods. If my home was not struck by lightning, killing my Mac, xDAC and Xcan, I'd still be using it. But I'm now glad it happened, because I found the replacements(Schiit) to sound better, and cost less.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
If you had a location in your profile, we know! My two Schiit products are dead silent mechanically and sonically. And I'd be surprised if there were no EU dealers.

From my past dozen or so Head amps over the last 20~25 years, there's been no other brand(I've found) that gives so much bang for the buck. My MF X-CanV3 came close at $400., but it only became a hiEnd amp after a couple hundred dollars in mods. If my home was not struck by lightning, killing my Mac, xDAC and Xcan, I'd still be using it. But I'm now glad it happened, because I found the replacements(Schiit) to sound better, and cost less.

My location is there, NI - Northern Ireland.

There are dealer in the UK and they ask 270GBP for the Asgard, meaning 60% over the normal price. I would be buying an overpriced version of it. Plus as I said, having some really good headphones, there is no point buying mid-fi amps.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

My location is there, NI - Northern Ireland.

There are dealer in the UK and they ask 270GBP for the Asgard, meaning 60% over the normal price. I would be buying an overpriced version of it. Plus as I said, having some really good headphones, there is no point buying mid-fi amps.

Seems like you could hop on the ferry to france and buy one in Euro's

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 19
Aug 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 19
It's only four inch's from you!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

UK is in the EU, meaning no tax free :frowning2:. Plus going there or paying shipping makes it the same price as buying from the UK.

Sure, but you could get drunk and wake in a beautiful harry French woman's bed.
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 19
Hey Szadzik you're right in that you want to treat those headphones well. Both are some really nice cans that are made for scaling up... The SPL Auditor is a good balanced rig... Along that train of thought looking at single ended units I would research:

Violectric Line - V90 - $396 Euro
                       V100- $599 Euro
                       V200- $728 Euro
                       Plus for - $80 (16/44) or $120 (24/96) you can add a built in DAC to the Violectric models listed above. Worth noting these guys were one of the first to build a DAC in Europe back in the late 80's early 90's

Lake People - Same Company/ Engineers as the Violectric line... not as pretty but same DNA
                     G103S - $225 Euro
                     G109S - $395 Euro

Lehmann Audio Cube is $340 Euro
                       Linear is $725 Euro

Fostex - HP-A3 $335 Euro
Fischer Audio - HA 02 $275 Euro

Couple links to UK and European sites that cater to Headphone enthusiasts
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/desktop-headphone-amplifiers-ct-57_128.html

http://www.thomann.de/gb/headphone_preamps.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back