SRS Wow Thing - Thoughts?
Aug 16, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Wow, they are making that thing cheaper and cheaper (got mine at $30, increased to $40, down to $30, now $25 + free shipping).

Well, it isn't that great but it kind of works.

Personally I do not like it, the lows are too artificial and boosts more midbass (though it is better than bass boost as the low bass can be boosted). Bass is muddy too...

I don't like the crossfeed either, it makes the sound almost monoaural like, it all goes directly in front of you and distinguishing l/r becomes more difficult.

The headphone out is lousy, noisy as anything. Line out is fine.

Though for $25 it probably is at the right price. You can also get Sennheiser DSP units for a bit more than that used, if you can find them.

Aug 16, 2001 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 9
Oops, should've posted it here instead.

I think the definition of portable should be "Can I throw it 15 yards (meters)?" I know, I know, batteries, small etc.

Seriously though, I would say that the TA is portable, but I'm not sure that I would call the Grado Amp portable, even though it has batteries. Have we argued about what characteristics something must have in order to receive the 'portable' tag?

Enough outta me.

Aug 16, 2001 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, the description of the portable forum says it is for portable sources . The WOW thing is a dsp of sorts. Anyway, I asked this same question a while ago and got a unanimous reply that WOW technology is crap, and the WOW thing is even worse. I looked into what WOW does and it really is gimmicky. Want better audio? Try TDS things. Stereophile approved and great sounding.

Aug 16, 2001 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 9
A while back i think i saw a portable version of the wowthing (wowman?) but SRS wow processing sounds horrible, especially when compared with good DSPs like Dolby Headphone

Aug 16, 2001 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 9
I have no idea what SRS improved when they introduced the WOW components. They used to sell the almost exact same products under the product line NuReality. I bought a NuReality Vivid 3D Plus (looks almost identical to the WOW, so poop to their design team) back in 1995 for $80, and at that time SRS was certainly a "wow'ing" technology to me. But 6 years later, trying to introduce almost the same product again under a different and CHEESIER name seems very desperate.

Edit: This post can't be all negative. I have to say that for games and movies that don't offer any special 2-channel encoding options, the SRS technology offers a pretty nice 3D effect, much better than the non-SRS ones you'd find built into computer speakers like Labtecs, etc.

Aug 17, 2001 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm using a piece of equipment called Theater2000 from
Spectrum Research (www.theatersound.com), which is
actually a SRS porcessor. I bought it because I didn't
want to go the Home Theater way, I'm not a big movie
fun (I prefer music). It can create a really nice enveloping
sound and make some of the dull recordings come alive.
The effect depends on the recording, some of them benefit,
some of them don't. I also use it with my Headroom Little
and HD600 setup. Again sometimes the effect is dramatic,
almost holographic, sometimes I take it out of the loop.
Playing with the settings iproves things a bit, but different
recordings require different settings. I'm also trying to get
the TDS to test with my AKG K1000 setup. The WOW Thing
is a re-work on the SRS system, I bought one to test 'cause
they are dirt cheap. I thing the Theater2000 is much better
but then it costs 10 times as much. I would use the WOW
with a PC (e.g. it makes mp3s listenable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back