SRS WOW Effects - Windows Media Player 7
Aug 24, 2001 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nikolai Dot Org

Head-Fier
When listening to some angsty rock .mp3's on my Sennheiser 580's plugged into an X-Cans via a Clou Cable...

...I have to admit that *some* tunes sound better with the SRS WOW effect on.

Anyone else tried this? Opinions?

Aug 25, 2001 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
I've tried it and Dolby headphone (Lake), and it never worked for me with music, except as a display of clever processing.

This Dolby Headphone thing 2 questions :

1. Is it a freeware product? Whether it is or not, where do you get it from?

and

2. Would it (with the name "Dolby") enhance DVD viewing (listening i guess
wink.gif
) rather than having the standard 2 channel PCM mode that I am currently stuck with??

Ok... that was 2.5 questions, but hopefully someone can help me out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2001 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Lake's Dolby Headphone PLS is a available as a plug-in for MusicMatch and RealJukebox Plus. Lake originally developed the technology, and then licensed it to Dolby for distribution worldwide. More info can be found at www.lakedsp.com

I use DH with RealJukeboxPlus. You can download the plug-in by selecting product updates within the RealJukebox Plus player. Note, this works only for Jukebox, not RealPlayer.

The plug-in is good for a 30-day free trial, after that it becomes inoperational. License cost is only $10. A real bargain if you get to like DH. Best $10 I ever spent.

DH is also available as part of PoweDVD which is a software-based DVD player for PC's. PowerDVD is sometimes bundled with some new PC's, or can be purchased for about $40-$50. See Headwize Announcements for some deals currently available. There are some TRIAL versions of PowerDVD floating around on the 'Net, but from what I've heard, Dolby Headphone is disabled in these versions.

Finally, don't confuse Dolby Headphone with other Dolby products, including Dolby Digital, and previous virtualization products. You can also find more information at Dolby's website: www.dolby.com

Try it out and post your impressions. Most people who have tried it are very impressed with it. Espescially when you turn it on and off when playing. You say to yourself, how could you listen to headphones without it. The effect is very dramatic.

Aug 25, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Oh well, I'm downloading PowerDVD 3.0 after paying out $54.69 (including that safety re-download thing)

I'm just hoping that this is as good as the hardware decoder (DXR 3) that I currently have installed... any opinions?!?

Aug 25, 2001 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Has anyone tried the speakers simulator plug-in for Winamp? I discovered it on Headwize about a year ago and I think it is better than Dolby headphone, and definitely than those other awful dsp plug-ins for Winamp. It takes a little while to get used to, but the sense of depth is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back