SRS iWOW--anyone tried it?
Nov 14, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 17
I have been experimental with Sound Retrieval Systems {SRS} and made my first filter purchase in the mid 1990s. The patents on the invention by which are held by The Hughs Aircraft Company. In the mid 90s you could call Hughs directly and speak to the audio genius who invented the program. He was at his desk and loved to speak with audio types who were into what he did. In a couple of years Highs sold the rights to TV manufacturers who mainly placed it in small room euro TVs. I used the original rack mount analog unit in my sound-scape recordings to place stuff in the recording outside the sound field. We did a recording with the use of dolphin and trainer dialogue at Marine land which would come from the side of the room on playback. Those were the days when you could play anything you wanted on college radio and get away with it.We would broadcast these crazy recordings on college radio at 11:00 pm to the delight of the public.

I was also using it from time to time in a high end speaker system to change sound-stage. Yes it works. The digital logarithms are now placed in line with amps all over the world. Hughs Aircraft still owns the patent.

I just sold my analog SRS on Ebay for $30.00 usd as I have become a purest of sorts in the chain of RCAs. It was fun as a toy though.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #17 of 17
imho, the 'WOW' effect is good for the audio purists who frequently have visits from non-audiophile friends...i think that the WOW effect is mainly designed to catch attention, thats why it gets fatiguing... it makes music stand out more in a crowded party without having to increase the volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back