SRH940 or Q701? Your take?
Dec 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dL.

100+ Head-Fier
So I am a big Shure fan, as evident in my signature. I almost have the entire Shure headphone line and just purchased the SRH940 yesterday to add on to my collection.

I also got a chance to try out the Q701 for a short time yesterday. My first impression of this headphone was OK. I can feel the smoothness of the sound, and later proven by the frequency response chart that I saw. The design and comfort level is definitely a notch higher than the SRH940. But for whatever reason, it's lacking that "fullness" and "complete" feeling that I always get with Shure, if that makes sense.

I am essentially upgrading from the SRH840 and have a few weeks to decide if the SRH940 is my next ultimate upgrade or if I should consider the Q701.

Basically, I want to hear your take between these two. They are both detailed, analytical, balanced and neutral without overpowering bass which is perfect for my style of 90% Pop, R&B, and occasional Rock music.

How does the Q701 fare out in terms of lows, mids, highs, warmth, detail, soundstage when compared with the SRH940? I can't seem to make my own judgment even though I demoed both of them already. Something about the Q701 is missing imo that the SRH940 offered that led me to the purchase, but I want to make sure I am making the best educated decision before it's too late. And feel free to throw in any $300 range headphones in the mix for recommendation, but try to stay on the topic of these 2. Open or closed is fine.

In other words, should I make a 3peat with Shure again or it's time to move on?

dL

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 9
So far , I've seen more people preferring the srh940 to the k701 (or k702, or Q701, more or less same)  than reverse.
For instance Mike from headfonia, ranked "on personal preference"  (according to a comment) , and for music : MS2i, SRH-940, K702, DT880.
But I've seen once one head-fier preferring the k701 (don't ask me to refind the post).

At end , what matters , is what YOU  prefer.
Perhaps you should get the Q701 in order to extensively listen to them too, before making a final decision.
The big advantage of the srh940 , is that they are  easier to drive.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
So I am a big Shure fan, as evident in my signature. I almost have the entire Shure headphone line and just purchased the SRH940 yesterday to add on to my collection.

I also got a chance to try out the Q701 for a short time yesterday. My first impression of this headphone was OK. I can feel the smoothness of the sound, and later proven by the frequency response chart that I saw. The design and comfort level is definitely a notch higher than the SRH940. But for whatever reason, it's lacking that "fullness" and "complete" feeling that I always get with Shure, if that makes sense.

I am essentially upgrading from the SRH840 and have a few weeks to decide if the SRH940 is my next ultimate upgrade or if I should consider the Q701.

Basically, I want to hear your take between these two. They are both detailed, analytical, balanced and neutral without overpowering bass which is perfect for my style of 90% Pop, R&B, and occasional Rock music.

How does the Q701 fare out in terms of lows, mids, highs, warmth, detail, soundstage when compared with the SRH940? I can't seem to make my own judgment even though I demoed both of them already. Something about the Q701 is missing imo that the SRH940 offered that led me to the purchase, but I want to make sure I am making the best educated decision before it's too late. And feel free to throw in any $300 range headphones in the mix for recommendation, but try to stay on the topic of these 2. Open or closed is fine.

In other words, should I make a 3peat with Shure again or it's time to move on?

dL

The Shure is closed and easy to drive so it can be used portabley, the K701, while you could take it outside, i wouldn't recommend it, especially without an amp.  If you dont need it to be portable, the K701 and 940 match up closely, with the K701 needing an amp but having a larger soundstage. I think it has been said that the 940 sounds better for one reason or another but i couldn't tell you for shure, ive only heard the K701 for a minute.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Probably the soundstage is narrower than  for  the k701

Much more narrower.

The biggest problem of the K701 is that it requires a good amp.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Anyone own both q701 and 940?

dL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back