SRH840 vs HFI-780 vs GMP 8.35D
Jan 31, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

richbass

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Guys ! I am really confused !! please help me.
I listen to psychedelic trance,rap,rnb,hip-hop,rock and Indian music.
My budget is max. $250 +- few dollars.
Thanks

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 9
HFI-780, IMO. Amazing cans with punchy bass for rock, rap, R'n'B and hip-hop. I'm not much into psy trance and Indian music, so I can't speak for those genres.

You can grab them for around $220 + S&H off eBay, brand new.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 9
I own the ALO-780. Different beast to the HFI-780 coz it's been modded but I can still give you an impression of how it sounds. I love the soundstage for a closed can. It won't fall off if you move your head around, that's for sure. The bass is wonderful, very deep and powerful. Sounds great with trance and rock. I would imagine it would sound best with non-instrument orientated genre's though. It sounds great with rock and metal but it really blew my mind when listening to pop and some dance.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 9
I don't know if I should post here since I have a GMP 8.335D for sale but since I'm not voting for it...I've heard all three as well. And while the 8.35D does sound good my vote goes to the Shure 840. The bass is tight and controlled. There's plenty of it though not as much as the HFI 780 but what's there doesn't sound artificial or bloated as I found with the 780 at times. So that's my against the grain opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I should post here since I have a GMP 8.335D for sale but since I'm not voting for it...I've heard all three as well. And while the 8.35D does sound good my vote goes to the Shure 840. The bass is tight and controlled. There's plenty of it though not as much as the HFI 780 but what's there doesn't sound artificial or bloated as I found with the 780 at times. So that's my against the grain opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Out of curiosity, did you tried the newer pads on the 8.35?

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the 8.35D and the HFI-780 so between these two and based on your musical tastes I agree with everything Almoxil said. The HFI-780 has a very punchy bass and has more of a "fun" sound than the 8.35D. The 8.35 D has more isolation than the HFI-780 but is more neutral sounding. I use both of these unamped and they sound great!. I just recently bought the HFI-780 for $189.00 at RMCAudioDirect.com - Pro Audio, Live Sound, & Musical Instruments for Less!, don't know if they're still at that price.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, did you tried the newer pads on the 8.35?

No, never did. I meant to get them at some point but it seemed like too much hassle to begin with and then I just forgot about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back