SRH840 VS HD600 straight out of the Xonar STX, which one is better?
Dec 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

calist3r

Head-Fier
I'm considering the HD600 as an upgrade from the SRH840. Now, I don't have any proper desktop amps, just the Xonar.

Will the HD600 sounds much better than the SRH840 straight out of the Xonar's headphone output? Will it worth the different in cost?

I listen to all kinds of genres except classical/jazz. (Hey! don't judge me!)

I am also a big fan of gaming so I can definitely use the sound stage on the HD600.

What about the isolation? Is it bad? Can it at least isolate the sound of my ceiling fan and any sounds emitting from my CPU?

Thank you for your input.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 7
There should be an appreciable gain, but whether or not that is worth the cost in an upgrade is more of a personal thing. I can definitely help a bit more on the technical aspects, though.

The isolation on the HD600 is as little as almost nothing on your ears. It'll muffle a very, very little amount of sound. I mean, I don't know how loud your ceiling fan is, but I doubt it would completely deaden the sound of it, but would reduce it a bit. Do you own any other open headphones? Open headphones don't really tend to vary that much in terms of isolation, so you can use that as a benchmark if you do. 

Quote:
I'm considering the HD600 as an upgrade from the SRH840. Now, I don't have any proper desktop amps, just the Xonar.

Will the HD600 sounds much better than the SRH840 straight out of the Xonar's headphone output? Will it worth the different in cost?

I listen to all kinds of genres except classical/jazz. (Hey! don't judge me!)

I am also a big fan of gaming so I can definitely use the sound stage on the HD600.

What about the isolation? Is it bad? Can it at least isolate the sound of my ceiling fan and any sounds emitting from my CPU?

Thank you for your input.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 7
HD600 is a better headphone imo and with STX (with high or extra high gain), the result ll be very good. Its not the best symbiosis, but good enough for HD600.

Nearly zero isolation with HD600, when there is no music, you hear everything in your room.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Coming to think of it, my CPU fan is much louder than the ceiling fan.

I don't mind a few leaks. I just want to make sure that I can hear every detail without having to turn the volume wayyy up to absurd levels.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Coming to think of it, my CPU fan is much louder than the ceiling fan.

I don't mind a few leaks. I just want to make sure that I can hear every detail without having to turn the volume wayyy up to absurd levels.

Everything is relative, I have many PC and HTPC and they aren't very noisy. I haven't problem with my open headphones, but when i want to be completely peaceful, i go to my home cinema room equipped with accoutic foam.

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 7
I have my processor overclocked and I run Folding@Home all day on it and the GPU. The fans are clearly audible when music is paused, but I don't notice them while it's playing. Unfortunately, most music these days doesn't have enough of a dynamic range for 50 dB ambient volume to matter.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 7
Finally got my hands on the HD-600, definitely a big step up from the srh840 right out of the box!

I don't know how to describe it in technical terms, but somehow, this thing manages to combine all the sonic qualities that I like from the 840 and the 940(I had about 2-3 hours of listening session with it at the store). I'd say it sounded very similar to the srh940 with more bass impact and much less listening fatigue, with an added comfort.

Very happy with the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back