SRH840 vs AT m50
Apr 16, 2010 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
SRH840 vs AT m50

I thought I had my mind made up on my headphones, the AT m50's. Now I notice new contender for only a little more, like $30: The SRH840's. So I was wanted you guys to tell me what ones you enjoy more, I don't have anywhere close I can go test instore.

First I listen to Rock/Alternative/Electronic. I would enjoy the sound to be very good on the headphones I get. Not to mention I need the headphones to be closed back $150<. I do not want to go above $150, I'm not made of cash, so I can't buy the insanely nice headphones many of you own.

I would also like these headphones to be my studio headphones, something I can use for producing music. I make music almost like a hobby and you would laugh at the headphones I used before. The Dreaded Skullcandy Hesh.

I want your opinion, the SRH840 or AT m50?

Also what are the best price on both of these headphones?

Ebay: $90 for ATH- m50's
$138 for SRH840

If there is a better price please tell me, I need to try to save as much as possible

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 3
I've heard the M50 and own the 840 as of today.

The M50, in short, is forward, bassy, mid-centric, (gotta love those mids) and quite sparkly.

The 840, in short, is more laid-back, but also bassy with more neutral and balanced (slightly recessed) mids, and tamer treble.

This is all according to my ears, as you know.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 3
i was making the same considerations, but I listen to more electronica music (electro house, drum n bass). I went with the srh840 (BTW got them from J&R call them and youll get it for 129.99 shipped), I burned them in for around 72 hours.

Dont get me wrong, these are very good headphones, but the srh840 needed alot more bass in my perspective. Listening to music like deadmau5, where the emphasis is on the bass line, the srh840 dont cut it, in terms of its low handlings. As far as vocals, etc, theyre fine. BTW i was using a marantz receiver as my amp.

So im returning my set, and planning on getting the m50s, hoping it'll have what i want.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back