SRH840 or HD598?
Jan 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

klost

New Head-Fier
I would prefer the srh840 due to less sound leakage, but I read the HD598 can sound better, how much better? And does the HD598 really leak a lot? I know it's open-back, but at moderate levels, people next to me can hear the song clearly?

I will use them on my desktop, and hear mostly classic, and pop/k-pop music. I don't have an amp currently.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
I would prefer the srh840 due to less sound leakage, but I read the HD598 can sound better, how much better? And does the HD598 really leak a lot? I know it's open-back, but at moderate levels, people next to me can hear the song clearly?

I will use them on my desktop, and hear mostly classic, and pop/k-pop music. I don't have an amp currently.

The HD 598 would be great for the Genres you listen to, but yes they leak a lot of sound so the decision is up to you.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
But by a lot, you mean speaker-like? Or just a noise, at 30% volume?

Not speaker like. Someone right beside you would be able to hear a little of what you are listening to. But it's not crazy sound leakage, like if someone was sitting at the other side of the room they might not be able to hear.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Well if the rooms is rather silent they would hear the leakage rather good id say. My experience with open cans is that even at moderate listening levels they leak..The Shures is very easy to drive without an amp, also the build quality of the 840 is very good..The 598 has a reputation of cracking the headband. And you get 2 pairs of pads with the 840. You can also replace the cable very easily...yes would have bought the 840 :) 

The 598 looks sweet though, and i would love a pair but there are to many cracked headbands out there so i won´t dump any money at them right now. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 12
The audio technica m50 and the beyerdynamic DT770...Some will say the m50 is overated, some will say the rule the world. In my opinion the 840 plays alot clearer and more realistic then the M50 which have a rather V-shaped response. Loads and loads of bass, some laid back mids and a treble peak. Nothing wrong really and i think they sound good. But the 840 is more technical and way more fun to listen to.

I cant say anything about the DT 770..But i have owned the 990 (open back) and they are very smooth and with quite some warmth to them...I liked them actually. I think the DT770 has more bass. Buildquality with the Beyerdynamics is very good as far as i can say.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
The audio technica m50 and the beyerdynamic DT770...Some will say the m50 is overated, some will say the rule the world. In my opinion the 840 plays alot clearer and more realistic then the M50 which have a rather V-shaped response. Loads and loads of bass, some laid back mids and a treble peak. Nothing wrong really and i think they sound good. But the 840 is more technical and way more fun to listen to.

I cant say anything about the DT 770..But i have owned the 990 (open back) and they are very smooth and with quite some warmth to them...I liked them actually. I think the DT770 has more bass. Buildquality with the Beyerdynamics is very good as far as i can say.

And comparing open-back headphones to SRH840 (same prices ofc), the sound is worse?

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 12
Let´s say different ( generally speaking ) And it is also up to the listener since all ears are different.

For classic music the majority would go for an open back headphone just like the 598..it has a rather warm tone to it and better soundstage then the 840. The 840 is on the other hand sort of a detail freak with tight bass. Again nothing wrong or right, just different ways of doing things. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 12
I see... I currently use the HD202, which is closed, so I don't think I will have a problem with that. Just one more question: is the investment worth it? Will it make a big difference? HD202 to SRH840.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 12
yes! First off the comfort is supreme with the 840 compared to the 202 ( which i also have ) and second the sound quality is much better in every way. Details, mids, highs..You will notice an epic upgrade when it comes to sound quality! The only thing the 202 does better then the 840 is bass QUANTITY..

Do you have a store near by to try them out? It´s always recommended to try before you buy..Which i didn´t do when i bought the 840, surprisingly it´s my most used headphone and i love it to bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back