Srh 840 Questions.
Dec 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KoHeads

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi'ers
regular_smile .gif

I am planing to buy the Shr 840. But i have some questions about it.

- Will the Shr 840's have an amazing sound quality with an Ipod Touch 3g .At least compared to my 40$ earphones? Or will it only preform with an amp?

- What does the term "Burning" mean with headphones? I am guessing it is a positive thing how do you get this phenomenon? Do all Cans have this phenomenon?

-Are the Shr 840 Durable?

Finally a random question. Most people in this forum find that the Beats by Dr Dre are a bad headphone and the Shr 840 a very good one. But how is it that at Headphones.com ( i got refereed to this site) they gave a 3.5 out of 5 in a value for the Shr 840 while the beat by Dr Dre got a 4.5 out of 5 in terms of value?

since people are saying that the 440's and the 840's are the same with out an AMP would the beats by Dr Dre be better for MP3 usage only?

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Since you're using a mobile device, the 440s may be the better choice since they are driven very easily. The 840s probably can be driven from a mobile device, but not as well, and from what i've read, the 840 really shine with an amp.

Burning in from what I understand is the processes of increasing the flexibility of the drivers diaphragm, kinda like breaking a shoe in.

The SRH 440s are durable, so I would imagine the the higher end model of the same series would be the same or better.

Lastly, Headroom is first and foremost, a store, and as a store their goal is to sell.
Because of this, they will put a higher rating on a item they know will sell well.
With headphones, look for user reviews on this forum, as they are usually really good.

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 6
My iPhone 3GS drives the SRH840's easily, and I listen with the volume at 50%.

I tried my 840's powered from my Marantz receiver and the difference between that and the iPhone output is definitely marginal at most.

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 6
I agree with everything Swazidoughman said.

I will, however, add that the SRH440's are probably roughly equivalent to the SRH840's if you don't have an amp. (From what I've read.) I would recommend that one purchase the SRH840's if they think they would ever purchase an amp, even if they don't currently have one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitagarwal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My iPhone 3GS drives the SRH840's easily, and I listen with the volume at 50%.

I tried my 840's powered from my Marantz receiver and the difference between that and the iPhone output is definitely marginal at most.

You didn't give any specifics about your receiver, but you should know that receivers don't necessarily have headphone amp stages that are worth anything. Newer receivers specifically.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoHeads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys then would the Beats by Dr Dre be better for MP3 usage only? compared to the Srh 840's?

Probably not, but you aren't going to get any definitive answers on that. I doubt that many here at head-fi have spent extensive time with them.

The end conclusion with the Beats is: Even if the sound isn't horrible, other headphones offer better sound quality to dollar ratio. By far.

Whether an overpriced $300 headphone is better than an unamped $150 headphone is hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back