SRH 1540 vs DT 1770 vs Alpha Dogs vs Other
Dec 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

saxophone

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am trying to make a decision between these closed headphones that are under 600. I don't mind buying used. I tried out the EL-8 closed and the MDR-Z7 but I was not really impressed with either.

I have not really been following the headphones scene over the last couple of years so I do not really have an idea of what else is out there. Essentially, what I am looking for is a comfortable, fun, closed pair of headphones with a strong bass presence. I enjoy reference listening with my DT 880, but I want something that can really complement it that can provide energy and a punch when necessary.

Currently, there are three headphones that I have in mind: SRH 1540, DT 1770 and Alpha Dogs. I currently own the Mad Dogs 3.2 and I used to own the SRH 840. I prefer the sound of the SRH 840 but I like the comfort of the Mad Dogs. I have heard that the SRH 1540 is basically an upgraded SRH 840 but they neutralized its upper mid-range. The Alpha Dogs have better bass presence than Mad Dogs and are all around the superior headphone. I do not know anything about the DT 1770 except that it has a detachable cord (which I appreciate). Any other information that I am missing would be helpful. Which one would be the best for me based on what I have said so far?

There are other headphones I'm sure I do not know about. What are other good headphones for me to research?

Source: Schiit Modi -> Schiit Magni

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 2
I was an 840, mad dog, alpha dog ownner and now Alpha Prime- if you can save extra money i would get the Alpha Prime - made in Usa and grear customer service- I loves the Alpha Dogs but the Primes are amazing. Think of a more refined clear and sophisticated alpha dogs with the same slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back