sr80s treble
Feb 2, 2007 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

baskin9659

New Head-Fier
Ive been lurking and researching here for quite some time,and I am a novice when it comes to headphones,with the help of this form I bought the sr80s. My question is are they supposed to distort alittle at higher frequencys, I know when a pair of cheap headphones go bad they distort in the bass,these seem to distort just a little at higher frequencies, and this is coming from a portable source, unamped.thanks.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I have those, great headphones. The upper treble can be harsh (crash cymbal) but there's really not a problem with distortion unless you turn up the volume too much, which you shouldn't do.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 9
one more question, for people that have heard both which is better koss portapro or igrado,and yes ive searched but I saw no direct comparisions between those two

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Having had the sr80, I would look elsewhere first for the source of the distortion.
Perhaps comparing the way the sr80 sounds from a different source can help you isolate where the distortion is coming from and whether it is in fact the headphone.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having had the sr80, I would look elsewhere first for the source of the distortion.
Perhaps comparing the way the sr80 sounds from a different source can help you isolate where the distortion is coming from and whether it is in fact the headphone.

+1 on this. I can crank them pretty high up without the top end distorting. Too high up for safe listening, actually. This is off an old Sony STR-DE985 receiver.

They sound like diseased crap directly off my notebook. This is directly from the headphone out.

I haven't tried them with my new iAudio X5 yet for some crazy reason. I'm enjoying my new V-Moda Vibes with that way too much to bother. Eventually I will I suppose.

Feb 2, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by baskin9659 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my sources are a sony portable cd player and a sirius S50 portable sattelitte radio

that sirius portable satelite radio sounds shady man. i owned the SR80 for years and it never gave any problems. in fact, one of the reasons i got it is because it handled highs in such a sweet luscious way. i don't think it's harsh. however, i have heard reports about the actual drivers being loosely fitted inside the housing. and when you pump up the volume the vibrations from the drivers start to rattle against the wall of the housing.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 9
yea the sirius radio has a highly compressed signal,i need to hook up my sr80s to a nice receiver and amp to see what they should really sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back