Sr80s powered by audigy 2, do i need an amp?
Feb 6, 2004 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, Im pretty new to this whole headphone scene... have a qn...

i usually plug my SR80s into my audigy 2 line out from my comp....

i usually turn down the volume via the soft control panel in windows, whenever i listen to my DVD-audios/winamp....

Since I usually listen to only 1/2 to 3/5 of the max volume, will getting an amp (lets say a supermini or some airhead) further improve the sound?

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 10
I've heard that amps don't improve the 80's too much, main reason I've decided against an amp as my next upgrade. I'd reccommend upgrading your soundcard instead. Scrap that Audigy2 and get an M-Audio Audiophile (24/96 or USB, whatever you prefer. There's only about a $10 difference) or Delta 410.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 10
actually the only reason i got an audigy2, was so i could listen to DVD-Audios on my pc...

it was a cheap way to get into DVD-Audios... no doubt probably not as good as a real dedicated DVD-audio player, it REALLY is not too shabby at all!!

until there comes out an audio phile quality dvd-audio sound card, i'll probably stick with my audigy2...

man... dvd-a has really spoiled me... after listening to dvd-a, cds suck, and my 192kbps mp3s are UBER SUCKY..

and using hi def headphones like the sr80 emphasize the poor quality....

bleah...

Feb 6, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 10
I felt the SR80 required an amp to achieve the best bass performance. Without an amp the bass is present, but it is a bit loose and uncontrolled. A simple and affordable amp like a CMOY or CHA47 is all one needs to improve performance in a big way (for a small investment - around $50 or less). IMO, the SR80 is one of the most amp-dependant Grados. The SR60, however benefits the least from an amp.

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 10
hi neil, question...

so does it mean that juz coz i listen to at most 2/3 of my current max sound card volume, doesnt mean my sound card is powerful enuff for the grados?

and that i can still benefit from an amp?

thanks

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 10
The amp will help with the output volume, but the real benefits are the increase in dynamics and added control. The bass will be much-improved from the addition of an amp.

Feb 6, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Half the people here will tell you you need an amp, the other half will say the opposite. Make your decision based on a set amount of money you feel like spending on audio equipment; none of it's necessary, but all of it will make you feel better about yourself.

Feb 6, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 10
Well, just to chime in, I felt that the SR60's had no improvements with the Fixup Mini. I was listening critically for a couple minutes (not that long, I know), but decided almost immediately that the differences, if there were any, to be too miniscule to care for.

Feb 6, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 10
Unless your headphones need the extra power, I personally don't think putting an amp on an already amped output will give you any big improvements. That's from my experience when using a Meta42 between my headphones and all of my sources' internal amps. In the end I find the final output signal to be almost identical to not having the Meta42 there at all, so I just use amps exclusively with true line-outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back