SR80 vs. HD595?
Oct 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bobofthedead

Head-Fier
Hi, I know I've asked about Grados before, but I want to know this:

I've heard that the Sennheiser HD595 is a good headphone. Very good, in fact - even for rock music. Gasp. Basically, I was looking at the Grado SR80, but I've heard mixed reviews about its comfort, and I've also heard that the Sennheisers can not handle some types of rock. However, I've heard that the HD595 is an "all-round better can", and that it is far more comfortable than the Grado can, but that it is less than fantastic at some types of rock.

To put a reference point in all of this abstractery, the music I listen to currently is David Bowie's 70s stuff - yes, all of it - Pink Floyd, The Beatles' later career (psychedelica and pop) and The Who. That just about sums it up nicely... I would be using the headphone unamped at first, until finances allow me to purchase something amplifier-like.

Essentially, I am looking to know which headphone offers greater comfort, and an ability to reproduce bass-y, 70s classic rock (such as The Who's Quadrophenia), 60s Beatles pop, and all of Bowie's 70s music well. If it can't play Heroes, then it ain't for me.

Hope my question's not too sprawl-y. If it is, I can try to reduce it...

Cheers.

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 14
I listen to that type of music almost daily, and I've owned the HD595 and SR80. The HD595 was very comfortable after using it for a while, but I mostly enjoyed it with jazz and not so much with rock. The SR80 was uncomfortable to wear even more uncomfortable to listen to with rock. If choosing between these two, I'd go with the HD595.

Based on what I've read, if I were buying headphones in this price range for classic rock, I'd probably go with the Denon D1001, re-cable and mod it, and amp it with a decent source. I have to say though, I don't expect to buy anytime soon as I'm already enjoying a modded JBL 410 (JBL410) Reference with a HotUSB1 DAC/amp.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 14
No can do with the mods or the MS1. I wouldn't want to risk destroying my £100 piece of kit with my clumsy paws, and Alessandros are only available in the US, right? I don't want to pay import taxes, and the £-$ conversion rate's got worse recently... Plus I'd rather buy it from a bricks 'n' mortar shop, because of the better support you can get from real people without stumping up the P&P to send it back.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 14
I prefer Grado to Sennheiser. I have a pair of Grado SR-60's and a pair of 325is. My favourite can is the 325i for rock, punk, thrash, death metal, folk metal, blues, etc. For everything else I gravitate towards the AKG 701 or depending on where I am, AKG 271s (closed cans).

The Sennheiser HD-595's are nice and good all rounders. I also have a pair of these. They are more comfortable than the Grado's. I find that I rarely listen to the 595's and are more inclined to listen to my Grado 325i's. I'd probably prefer the 595's for classical, but not much else.

I'd get the Grado's. But it is a matter of taste (and of comfort). If you listen for an hour or so and then take a break the Grado is fine. If you want to wear your cans for 6 hours at a go, go Sennheiser. Oh, why not buy one now and in a few months buy the other. You'll have 2 really great cans with very different sonic signitures. Maybe get the Senns first as they are a more comfortable can with a more jack of all trades (and master of none) presentation.

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 14
I am toying with the idea of getting both models sometime in the future, but my budget is tiny: imagine a student budget, then find the reciprocal of it. I'm only getting these because I have a birthday coming up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back