sr80 mods?
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

blmelon

100+ Head-Fier
i have seen some threads about the possibilities. i want to kick up the flavor of my cans. are there any that will improve the sound of the sr80's more than others? i am thinking about liberators, new grills and deeper cups. i am not going anywhere near new cables by myself (no soldering experience and i won;t start with these).

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 13
I have gone thru 2 -3 rounds of modding the SR80 and found that the most impact came from the change in cable. Then getting teh right cable is another thing.
While many says that the grills have little or impact, i hear a difference in the change of grills from the original.

My friend who went ahead with the cups mods mentioned that its pretty effective, but i never gotten to try it. I guess a balance between the looks and sonic quality is important, dont think it would sound good to you if it doesnt look good

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 13
You might want to start off rolling pads. Then when you find you're comfortable with that, try different grilles. I didn't like the SR60's plastic grille. It didn't make sense to restrict the sound as much as the stock one did, so you can try opening the sound up by opening up your Grados and swapping out the grille. If yours was manufactured later than sooner, it's going to be a bit tougher opening the casing because I believe Grado switched from hot glue or something to some really annoying epoxy. Essentially, ripping off the button, opening up the casing, and removing the grille will all be annoying due to the super impossible epoxy. Get a heat gun, hair dryer and carefully and apply steady heat. Try not to ruin the driver, cable or the housing, try not to melt your hands, then all should be good. Some people woodify the outer plastic half with varying degrees of success as per wood choice, shape of woody, so on and so forth. I'm trying to get beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 headbands for my Grados, but it's impossible to get a Canadian distributor to talk to me.

Aside from recabling, I think those mods are what you should try in decreasing order of sound difference/difficulty. The woody may be difficult depending on your skill- and toolset, so I listed it after the grille bit though it may change the sound more. The headband one is counterintuitive, but it's just as legitimate as any other sound-altering modification.
biggrin.gif

And as always, check out the HeadWize Collected Grado Mods article.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 13
that is one of my concerns. it might sound good, but if they look like crap, that sucks...definitely need to do something about this headband though. got any suggestions there? i have seen folks making new leather ones and other people adding a senn headband underneath. any experience with that?

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Does the SR-80 have 4 connector wires all the way to the normal jack? The completion of my next little project should leave me with a balanced source/amp combo but no balanced phones but I was under the impression it would be a simple mod to go balanced (unlike the method Kevin lists in the page linked above). I was intending to use a 4 pin XLR though, which is significantly different.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 13
The Grado cable has 4 conductors, so it's quite easy to just lop off the end connector and throw on some XLRs.

I've seen DIYed leather headbands, Senn headbands, and all sorts of things go over the Grado headband, but personally, I like the beyers the best. They are the most comfortable, IMO. You could go all the beyer way if you want and DIY some beyer pads for the Grados. You could get the C-pads from Headphile, but there's something like a 8-10 week line up. If you can get them used, all the power to you. J'aime beyer.

"Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."

*sees children with shocked expressions*

"Or cocaine."

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 13
They go for about $10 from beyerdynamic USA, which I believe is located in around New York or New Jersey. You just need to fill out an order form with your info and such. Ask for part number 340.502 and you're great. Calling them is the best way to get a hold of them, since they don't really like to answer emails or that "Contact Us" form on their page. Give them a ring at 1-800-293-4463.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 13
Ack, how could I forget the infamous tape mod? Yes, they reportedly increase the bass and it actually is the most value in terms of cost and performance change that you can have in the way of Grado mods. If tape doesn't suit your fancy, you can get a popsicle stick/tongue depressor and wipe white glue around the edges. I did that to my SR60's GS1K pads. This results of this mod are pretty blatant.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 13
I never really like the cheap tape look to be honest. I went to Home Depot and picked up black silicone. First I taped around the inner and outer edges, applied the silicone to the exposed foam with rubber gloves (smoothing it out as much as possible), let them dry overnight and carefully remove the tape. You can't even tell I did the mod myself and looks pretty stock. The silicone plugs the small holes in the foam and prevents sound from escaping. I found I got a little more bass than stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back