SR80 crackling -- damage, or is the output too high, or ...?
Oct 12, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

capnmorgan

New Head-Fier
Many apologies if my question has already been asked a million times ... I searched around for a bit and couldn't come up with anything, so here goes:

Within the past month I bought a pair of Grado SR80's, and now I'm getting a strange crackling noise out of the left driver. The strange thing is that it's only during specific parts of specific songs. Volume doesn't seem to have much to do with it -- I can play lots of things plenty loud completely fine, and then there are songs I can play softly and still get this strange noise. Is it possible that the output from these files is too great? The only example I can think of off the top of my head is the very, very end of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (the album, not the song...last minute or so, as it fades out). I never listen to anything particularly loud, probably softer than most, cause I use these at work and hence don't want everyone else listening in (open-air and all).

Second part -- if indeed I should try sending them back, what kind of a reason do I have? Seems pretty lame saying "In this specific song, yada yada yada..."

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Check to grill(the side closer to your ears) for hairs, this could be the notorious 'grattle', even if you dont see hair, you can try putting your mouth up to it and lightly sucking in air(ick, I know, but yu want your headphones, right?)
Also, if that doesn't work, does this happen on all sources?(eg; does it only make the sound when playing on a cd player, and not when playing it on the computer?)

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I've tried the light sucking, and it still does it -- I'll have to check to see if other sources have the same effect when I get off from work, and I'll post the results. Thanks for your help so far!

Oct 12, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 5
i'm getting that too, but it's hardly noticeable.
basshead.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Grado Grattle is what it's called. Take off the pads and gently blow from the back of the phones through the grill. If this doesn't work then you have to take drastic measures! (Ok, not so drastic). Take a look on the inside of the pads for hairs sticking out; hold it up against a light source, use tweasers if you have to. Do the same thing with the uncovered phones. Hold them up horizontaly against a light source so you can see all the way across them and look for hairs sticking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back