SR80 - brightness
May 3, 2006 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cvince

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased my grado SR80s yesterday, and after some auditioning with the SR60 and SR125 at the audio store powered by some expensive equipment, I realized that the 125s had a wider soundstage, but also too much treble. As a result, I purchased the 80s. When I brought the 80s back home, I noticed that they are overly bright and unnatural. I tried playing them with a reciever that I have, and certain recordings sound downright horrible and overly bright and almost harsh. On my computer, while most piano (marie pariah), jazz (marsalis), and classical music CDs sounded extremely good (though the lower midrange of the orchestra is still a little bit weak in comparison to the treble), when I played pink floyd, avenged sevenfold, and some of the harder stuff, it was downright intolerable. I had to use my equalizer to reduce the higher end to continue listening. The quality, however, of mp3s might be the cause for this.
Most of the better recordings are far from harsh, but the brightness was still apparent. When I played the Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD, I was pleasantly surprised! I cold actually hear the tomtoms and the reverberations of the cymbal hits across the walls. Additionally, the treble was less agonizing, but the brightness was still there. So far I can deduce that these cans are indeed extremely detailed, but the brightness is slightly unnatural. S's are painfully loud (around the 6-7khz range), and the lower mids seem to be outbalanced by the highs (400-500hz).

I realize I probably haven't broken the sr80s in, but will the treble soften up over time? If not, what can I do to perhaps reduce the treble a little bit?

May 3, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Some people (not me) find Grados to be harsh, bright 'phones. Maybe you're one of them........or maybe your source and amplification is a major contributor. You might want to try Grado comfy pads or some el-cheapo Radio Shack pads without a hole to try and cut down on some high frequencies. Or you may want to equalize a bit. Or try some burn-in.
But realize, Grados may not be for you. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't find my well burned-in SR125 harsh at all. They are a little bright, but they are also true to the source. The higher quality source material you have, (Diana Krall recordings are mostly pretty good) the better the high up Grado's sound.

I you think the SR125's have too much treble, try listening to Sa5k's. They make my SR125's treble sound RECESSED.
basshead.gif
icon10.gif

May 3, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Burn in and try some comfy pads. The included bowl bads leave your ears completely free to the drivers. I'm wearing my SR-60s now for 2 hours or so and I can't feel the headband and I'm not fatiguing yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back