SR80 - ATH M50 - Denon 2000 - SR225 / open or close
Sep 17, 2009 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

qedao

New Head-Fier
Hi from Japan:

I got a couple of SR80 that I use to play mp3 on the computer with the Styleaudio Carat-ruby USB DAC.

I am thinking of buying the audiotechnica m50 or the denon 2000 to tentatively sell my SR80.

I mostly care for SQ, while isolation can come handy when my wife gets noisy, but If staying open with SR80 is better in terms of SQ then I save any buying or go to the SR225.

Any experience with this models? I mostly listen pop jazz and some classical.

Is open always better SQ?

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Hi from America:

I have both the M50 and SR80 both are great headphones.
Treble: The SR80 sound clear, more detailed and better extension
Mids: The SR80 has more detail in the mid while the M50 has sound tighter and stronger
Bass: If you are looking for bass the M50 clear win out with more detail lows and has more depth.
Sound stage: The M50 has a very upfront sound stage which add to the mids and bass while the SR80 has a wider and sound more natural to me.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi hvu:

Thank you very much for the very explanatory post.

What you said is was I imagined about the M-50, better bass than the SR80 but missing something in the highs and mids.
The high and mids of the SR80, sound great to me. I wanted to try closed headphones as a silent room is never really silent at least in my neighbourhood.

I see in your signature you also have more expensive Headphones. Truth is that while searching the web for M-50`s. I came across a pair of "cheap" second hand denon ah-d5000... I am already decided to spend good money the m-50, so spending a little more would be acceptable, you think is worth going for the denon even they are used and double price that brand new m-50?

Thanks!!

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 14
The D2000 have very little isolation....

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qedao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Truth is that while searching the web for M-50`s. I came across a pair of "cheap" second hand denon ah-d5000... I am already decided to spend good money the m-50, so spending a little more would be acceptable, you think is worth going for the denon even they are used and double price that brand new m-50? Thanks!!

Not sure those are the best headphones for the kind of music you listen to. I've only auditioned them once, but they are quite bassy. I know I wouldn't choose the AH-D2000 for those genres. But maybe a classical-listening AH-D5000 owner will say otherwise.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 14
Hi guys, newbie here :S

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd continue on this one.. So I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones this week and had set my sights on the Shure SRH840. However, I went to the store yesterday to give them a listen, and was a little disappointed (as far as first impressions go). First off, they are HUGE and not the most comfortable. I also found them to be a little lacking in bass, especially when compared to the ATH-M50 or the ATH-Pro700.

My usage would be mostly critical home listening, with occasional DJ'ing at a friends house
smily_headphones1.gif
Type of music is mostly psychedelic / goa trance. Let me emphasize, that goa trance music is not simply about BASS! Yes there is a constant pounding bassline, but the mids and highs are what take you on the journey !
smily_headphones1.gif

So now, considering my usage, I have a few questions :

1. Would open headphones be better or closed ?
2. Budget $250. Best buy ?
3. I'm leaning towards Grado's based on having read alot of the threads, but have never heard them before. Anything more I should know about Grado's, especially in relation to this type of music ?
4. For this type of music, if you were to choose between the ATH-M50, ATH-Pro700, Shure SRH840, Grado SR125ior the SR225i, which would it be and why ?

Thanks !

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grado's bass isn't going to be even close to the srh840's

maybe try some ultrasones.. ive heard theyre great for trance

So by that logic, most people that use/love/praise Grado's generally listen to bassless music (classical, jazz, etc) ?

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 14
well, okay, not bassless.. but shall we say, bass with a different sort of exuberance?

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 14
So, can anyone recommend any good phones for around $200 for electronic / trance music ?

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qedao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi hvu:

Thank you very much for the very explanatory post.

What you said is was I imagined about the M-50, better bass than the SR80 but missing something in the highs and mids.
The high and mids of the SR80, sound great to me. I wanted to try closed headphones as a silent room is never really silent at least in my neighbourhood.

I see in your signature you also have more expensive Headphones. Truth is that while searching the web for M-50`s. I came across a pair of "cheap" second hand denon ah-d5000... I am already decided to spend good money the m-50, so spending a little more would be acceptable, you think is worth going for the denon even they are used and double price that brand new m-50?

Thanks!!

I can't say if the d-2000 would be a better choice for you over the M50 or your SR80 because I have never listened to them before.
I would recommend looking into other people impressions of the D2000.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #14 of 14
I finally bought the m-50`s and them sold them again cause I never got used to closed cans after using my sr-80 for a period.
After having them I can say that the description hvu gave in the second post is precisely what I found, I can also say that I missed the small details in highs and mids more than I thought I would.
I guess I am a beliver now of the grado level of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back