SR71B, 2stepdance, mk3
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kokushu

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if the community could help me with my first portable amp purchase.  Currently I have an ipod classic with CLAS hooking up to it.  I am looking to get a portable amp that will be great with the combo.  I will be mostly using the jh16 pro with this setup but definitely interested in being able to use my lcd2 and hd800 with it sometime.  I know the popular choice seem to be sr71b.  from what i read it sound like it capable of driving on my headphones with good sound.  but I don't have not touch any balance cable or setup so I don't know how much I will be using it.  it seem that 2stepdance is a good choice from with single ended setup, but my current worry is will it be able to drive my high end headphones to make it sound good.  The mk3 also will be coming out soon I was wondering if it could outperform these currently portable amp.  My goals is alway to get the best sq out of this setup.

ohh also what is the best portable setup you could think off?  

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 14
I have an iPod classic => CLAS => SR71B=> LCD2 set up. I use the balanced cable from double helix for LCD-2. If I am on the move I switch to Beyerdynamic DT 1350. Both the set ups are amazing but the balanced set up is obviously an advantage. I think you could always upgrade to a balanced cable for JH16 Pro later on. I even saw a couple of SR-71B's on sale in the for sale forum...  

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 14
I just posted in the portable sources thread about recently mating a home/portable rig with an IPod Classic=> CLAS=> GoVibe Porta Tube +.   I use Westone UM2s as mobile IEMs and HiFi Man HE-500s at home.  The PortaTube + does not have much information out on it and is something of an unknown which may scare some users away but it does have some interesting features:

1. It's a portable tube amp, making it different from the solid state SR-71 and Rx MkII
  2. It has a built-in DAC accessible via a USB Mini B plug, making is usable with desktop systems (not IPod LOD friendly tho)
  3. So far, it has had no problems driving the IEMs and the much tougher HE-500s.  Going much above 50% on the HE-500 starts getting into "too loud for me" territory.  Much above 20-25% on the IEMs is "front row at a Who concert".  Obviously, the listening dynamics of IEMs vs. big Orthos means you're listening for different characteristics in the music.  But so far this combo has definitely been fun to listen to in either setting.

Downsides are real:
  1. The 3 pieces together are a brick.  It's portable technically, but not ready for the gym. Unless your workout is just lugging this combo around?
  2. The PortaTube + volume control is prominent and moves easily, meaning if you bump it while it's in your bag, you can get a huge uncomfortable volume surge. 
  3. And like I said, GoVibe provides next-to-no information about the product, so durability="?" Warranty= "?" Tech Specs = "?"

The PortaTube + is single-ended only at this point.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Wait it out kokushu. From what I have heard, the SR71B is best balanced and the MK3 could be great unbalanced as well as balanced. However, since it's not released yet it is hard to make impressions other than CanJam. Also my bet is that after the MK3 is released Ray Samuels is going create a successor to the SR71B....just a guess :wink:

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 14
I am going to be getting an SR71 soon as I want to try balanced but I can tell you that If I were not experimenting with balanced then I would still be more than happy with my stepdance. I have the original and it sounds wonderful and with the external 15v battery mod it has oodles of power to bring out the LCD's magic. The only downside is that there is another slab to add to the equation so if portability, e.g. listening on the move is something important to you it can be a little limiting.

I don't like walking and listening to music as Drivers here are as dumb as OX's and I need all my faculties to survive the city streets, Also my etymotics create such a good seal all I can hear is my feet pounding when walking!

I do a major part of my listening on set or in coffee shops which is where this set up really comes into it's own!

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 14
Man, you folks must have serious cash. Or should that be HAD serious cash ? 
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 14
Man, you folks must have serious cash. Or should that be HAD serious cash ? 
wink.gif

:D It's called having no debt! Have not owned a credit card for over twelve years now. I don't need or own a car and I am not into name brand clothing. It's amazing how far money can go without that lot on ones shoulders!

Best thing I ever did was to pay off my debt and stop owning a credit card!

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
biggrin.gif
It's called having no debt, not owning a credit card for over twelve years now, I don't need or own a car and I am not into name brand clothing. It's amazing how far money can go without that lot on ones shoulders!
Best thing I ever did was to pay off my debt and stop owning a credit card!

Totally agree. Nothing like having no dept. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 14
I think the US and many other countries could use some help, live within your means. It is disgusting, the waste and misuse that US politicians participate in. I saw this first hand in Micronesia while living there. The US gives 200 million a year, and they know that it is one of the most corrupt countries in the world and this is just one tiny island nation. The US throws US tax payers money out like it is feed to the cattle with little regard for the people whose money it really is. 

And how about that music. :^)

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 14
That's ok, at least Micronesia isn't attacking us!  We give Billions (with a B) of dollars to Pakistan, all of which goes to their corrupt military, and some of which ends up getting funneled into people who kill our own troops!

Quote:
I think the US and many other countries could use some help, live within your means. It is disgusting, the waste and misuse that US politicians participate in. I saw this first hand in Micronesia while living there. The US gives 200 million a year, and they know that it is one of the most corrupt countries in the world and this is just one tiny island nation. The US throws US tax payers money out like it is feed to the cattle with little regard for the people whose money it really is. 

And how about that music. :^)

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #12 of 14
That's ok, at least Micronesia isn't attacking us!  We give Billions (with a B) of dollars to Pakistan, all of which goes to their corrupt military, and some of which ends up getting funneled into people who kill our own troops!

This is so far off topic it's ridiculous, however.... one very good reason to give financial aid to Pakistan is so that some extremists in the border areas try to foment hatred of the West, rather than have Islamabad and the entire country, and all the surrounding countries doing it. At least the pro western military is in control of their nuclear arsenal. You think it's easier and cheaper to wash our hands of it and walk away from that mess?

Guess again.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Boy this thread have gone way off track.  Does anybody have anymore info on the MK3 because that is the one that could change my whole decision.  I guess for the other two it basically come down to whether i go balanced or single ended.  I am leaning toward the 2stepdance right now bc from what I am reading it sound the best overall without balance.  Ohh how uncovenince is it with all those balance cable on the go?

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Boy this thread have gone way off track.  Does anybody have anymore info on the MK3 because that is the one that could change my whole decision.  I guess for the other two it basically come down to whether i go balanced or single ended.  I am leaning toward the 2stepdance right now bc from what I am reading it sound the best overall without balance.  Ohh how uncovenince is it with all those balance cable on the go?

Exactly how many people would you say have actually HEARD the mk3 ? Of those, how many have been able to kick back and really evaluate it side-by-side with the other amps mentioned here ? I doubt that most of the people here who own balanced amps actually use them 'on-the-go' - always happy to hear otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back