SR71A vs. SR71 First Impressions
Oct 2, 2008 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I've spent a couple of days comparing my new SR71A with 175 hours of burn-in to my SR71 of many years.

These two amps are definitely related. On initial listen, I found both amps to sound very similar. But after a couple of hours, subtle differences began to be evident to my ears.

For all past reviewers of the SR71 who complained that it was too polite and recessed....a "jazz" amp instead of a rocking amp....I think you'll really like the direction that has been taken with the SR71A. Even after burn in, I find it more forward than it's older brother, giving you the impression you've moved several rows closer to the performance.

The next most obvious difference is that the SR71A has a more evident bass...kind of like getting a little smidge of the Hornet blended with the SR71. As I recall, lack of bass was another oft mentioned complaint of the SR71 (though not by me). I have not decided yet if the bass is "better" as impact and tightness is more important to me than quantity. More listening is in order on this issue.

I have 5 tracks I usually use for comparing amps...so I know them well after using them for years now. As I worked my way through them, the following trends seemed to define these two amps (using a MicroDAC-->amp-->RS-1's/PK-1's):

SR71
- Recessed in comparison
- Greater soundstage and sense of openness
- Offers a smoother, more polite presentation

SR71A
- More forward. Certain notes were far more evident on this amp as they were brought more upfront than the SR71 presents them.
- Somewhat more bass (but not bass heavy)
- More dynamic and immediate
- Slightly faster sounding

Both appear to be equal in detail.

Overall, the SR71A is the first portable I've heard that I could live with besides the SR71....and I've been through a boatload of portables. I'm certain the SR71A is either the first or second best portable I've listened to (with the SR71 being the other one). That alone makes it a keeper as I can use it for portable applications which was always difficult with the SR71's larger chassis.

Right now this would be a very tough decision if I had to pick between the two....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back