SR71 impressions
Jun 29, 2004 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
I picked up my SR71 from Ray Monday evening. FWIW and as Tuberoller mentioned I have serial number 6001.
I didn't ask for it, but Ray promised he would give me the first one. That was 3 months ago. I received a PM over the weekend - Ray stated my SR71 was ready for pick-up and as promised it had the 6001 designation. This little preface has nothing to do with the sound of the amp, but speaks volumes IMHO about Ray's integrity. I really don't mind which number I have, but for Ray to remember that promise makes me appreciate 6001 more.

Tuberoller has taken pics so I won't go into detail, but its about 1/2 inch shorter than my 15G iPod w/Vaja case. The black leather and black casing look good together.

Ray mentioned that the SR71 will not be burned-in when shipped. Expect it to be burned in at about 100 hours (approx. 2 sets of 9Vs). The gain is set to 6 (XP7 is set to 11). This is the set-up used for my impression:

15G iPod
Music files from original CDs (198kb)
EQ - off
Sik imp with 1/8 male-male adaptor
Meridian 507
AKG 271S w/ stock cable (55 ohms)
Protection - Massive Attack with Everything But the Girl

I know 198 may not be ideal for some of you who strive for better fidelity from a portable set-up. Would it sound better at a higher transfer rate or a better source - yes, but if I want audiophile quality I'll just sit in my Barcalounger and fire up my 650/507/XP7/HD300 rig.

The volume pot is at 10:00. Out of the box the bass is tight and controlled with the 271. The first 10 seconds you hear the bass line for the song. There is a nice visceral thump, not overpowering but just enough to tickle the ear drums. Then at about 25 seconds Tracy Thorn's angelic voice enters. Smooth and easy, though the Ss lose detail due the transfer rate.

Swap out the iPod and enter the Meridian 507. The visceral thump becomes louder, but still not overpowering. Tracy Thorn's voice is clearer, better presentation, better definition of where she is coming from, the Ss are more refined but not obtrusive. The synth(piano) in the background is playing more defined notes.

Overall, better portable source/transfer rate better synergy with the SR71. As is the case with my XP7, the SR71 is extremely quiet even at unbearable volume levels. No hint of clipping.

The SR71 is a keeper and highly recommended. Is it worth $395? When I consider the SR71s build quality, sound quality, portability, battery life, and Ray's time spent on each amp, yes its worth it.

Regards - reynman

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Tuberoller has taken pics so I won't go into detail, but its about 1/2 inch shorter than my 15G iPod w/Vaja case. The black leather and black casing look good together.

I didn't realize how small it was until you compared it to the iPod. Heck, I've just gotten more interested in this amp than I already was before. I'm going to be dreaming SR-71 tonight, thanks!
biggrin.gif

Oh, and what about the thickness? Is it about 2 15GB iPods thick?

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 20
psxguy85,

With the Vaja case on the iPod (I have model with the permanent belt clip post on the back), its about the same thickness. The SR71 include 4 rubber feet.

Regards - reynman

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 20
Anybody who craps on this thread is gonna get banned on principle.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #6 of 20
reynman,

Thanks for posting your initial impressions. Have you by any chance compared it to other portable amps that you might own? If so which ones might they be? You are quite the lucky individual, as it appears that the rest of us have to wait until the weekend before ours arrive!
eggosmile.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 20
This is a dumb question, but I'll drop it anyway. Is there any way to remove the rubber feet and save some thickness that way? Not that it matters, but I'm curious.

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 20
i'm sure you can remove it, but then it'll be scratched like a mofo(atleast thr PR will)

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Have you by any chance compared it to other portable amps that you might own?

Jester,

I did not get a chance to compare the SR71 with another amp, though I do own a JMT built portable META42. The SR71 offers a different level of performance.

Quote:

Btw, can you try a high impedance phone for me and see where you need to put the volume pot?

davidmiya,

Ray and I tried his 600s with my amp. I was listening to Diana Krall's new CD (snippets of the first two tracks) and I had the volume at 12 on the SR71. Ray was playing with the volume between 1 and 2. The source was a Sony CDP (model number 2000???). Loud and clear! I could hear her breathe between words. The pluck of the bass was detailed and again had a nice visceral thump, even more so than the 271s. I had taken some notes when I compared the db levels (Radio Shack SPL meter) of the 271s hooked up to the iPod and the Meridian. In my stupor I forgot to add it to my post. I will follow-up later tonight with Senn 650 Beyer 880 db levels.

Quote:

Is there any way to remove the rubber feet and save some thickness that way?

utdeep,

Yes you can remove the pads, but chiefroastbeef is correct you'd probably scratch the bottom.

Regards - reynman

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 20
Billy,

No sweat dude, I had to make a run for some milk and saw your TT and figured I HAD to show you.

Regards - reynman

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 20
I wonder how these sound with Grado RS-1s. I'm planning to upgrade to the RS-1s and was not too impressed with their performance on the tube amp. I think they are amazing with a solid state. How does this amp compare to the HR-2 or the PPX3 and particularly the RA-1.

Hey Tuberoller,
Nice review, the thread was closed before I could say anything. Why is it that someone always goes and picks a fight in your reviews? Ah well. Fortunately another SR-71 thread came up.

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik

Hey Tuberoller,
Nice review, the thread was closed before I could say anything. Why is it that someone always goes and picks a fight in your reviews? Ah well. Fortunately another SR-71 thread came up.

I could care less what is said about the amp,that's Ray's deal,it got out of hand when the stuff became personal which will not be tolerated. We will keep this thread on topic at all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back