sr60's with bowl pads?
Feb 11, 2004 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
I am really enjoying my sr-60, but when I tried it in the store I tried it with the bowl pads. When I got home I discovered that I actually found the bowl pads more comfortable than the comfies (bowls are circumaural on me
rolleyes.gif
). I cut out holes in my comfies to clean up the sound and noticed a slight improvement, which brings me to my question:

How would the bowl pads sound in comparison to the comfies (with quarter sized holes) on an sr-60, bearing in mind that I find the bowls more comfortable than the comfies?

Thanks for helping out a noob!

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 25
Anybody? I know the sound has been compared before, believe me, I HAVE searched, but I have never seen anyone compare the sound on the SR-60. If there are any major differences in the sound, I want to know about it before I spend $15 on pads.

Basically, is it worth it to spend 15 bucks on pads for a pair of phones that only cost $69?
confused.gif

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by tennisets
How would the bowl pads sound in comparison to the comfies (with quarter sized holes) on an sr-60, bearing in mind that I find the bowls more comfortable than the comfies?

It's been a while since I made the switch (a year and a half now?), but if I remember right the bowls really opened up the highs and sound a bit crisper without losing anything in the bottom end. Going back to the comfies made the Grados sound muffled by comparison - that was without a hole cut out. One friend who still has his comfies said that he preferred the warmer sound of the comfies, but was torn because the bowls seem to allow more detail. I also find the bowls more comfortable than the comfies and am looking forward to trying a pair of vwap pads, which should get here any day now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone know if Todd still has any of the flats?

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 25
A salesman at a local hifi shop told me that the only basic differences between the SR60 and 80 were the pads...

I think that the bowl pads look cooler, I mean, if they came with the bowl bads, why not keep them on, they wont sound like they are supposed to with the flats...and vice versa..

I would assume that by using the bowls on your SR60s your going to get brighter less muffled sound..

But is this the way Grado wanted you to hear them?

Feb 11, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
But is this the way Grado wanted you to hear them?

(Shrug)

Feb 11, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by blux
A salesman at a local hifi shop told me that the only basic differences between the SR60 and 80 were the pads...

The last time I compared a pair of 60s vs. 80s (owned by a former co-worker), I found the 80s had a beefier bottom end and kind of muffled on top - and these were running flats versus my 60s with bowls. Ended up preferring the 60s sound over the 80s.

Feb 11, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by lcachola
The last time I compared a pair of 60s vs. 80s (owned by a former co-worker), I found the 80s had a beefier bottom end and kind of muffled on top - and these were running flats versus my 60s with bowls. Ended up preferring the 60s sound over the 80s.

you should have compared both with the same pads. comparing different models with different pads leads you wrong on the sound of the phone itself.

Feb 11, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
you should have compared both with the same pads. comparing different models with different pads leads you wrong on the sound of the phone itself.

I'll keep that in mind next time. I think I did try both of them with the bowls, but it's been a year and a half so my memory's a little hazy.

Feb 12, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks modestninja! That is exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else notice the driver casing touching their ear with the bowls? That could be an issue for me, maybe?, but I would greatly enjoy the enhanced soundstage of the bowls. Once again, thanks for all your help guys!

Feb 12, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by modestninja
Here's a comparaison that might help.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=23193

Zanth's findings are going to vary from person to person, depending on how the pads fit over your ears. I personally like the bowl pads on my SR-60's and the SR-225's more than the flats since they fit me circumaurally. I found the bowls to sound awful on the HP-1000 though so I think it varies from headphone to headphone.

I found my SR-60's to become a little more refined with the bowl pads over the comfy pads. The high frequency detail is better, the bass is less muddy, and the soundstage is deeper.

Feb 12, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 25
Personally I love my sr60s with reversed bowl pads--they provide a much more transparent and detailed sound than the the comfy, senn or flat pads without sacrificing as much impact as when using the bowl pads in the standard manner. Actually I was falling out of love with my sr60s for a while until I decided to try every pad combination possible to see if I could to rekindle the flame--and it was the reversed bowl pads that did it for me.

Oh, and as a side not I HATE the flat pads on both the sr60s and sr225--they bloat the bass so much on these phones and ruin the transparency that I feel I may as well be listening to my KSC-35s or PortaPros. Just my obervation, though, many people love the flat pads on these phones. But I do think the flat pads are a decent match with the sr80s, though, because they help to fill out and add some color to their rather sterile sounding bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back