SR60's or SR80's?
Nov 6, 2007 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, I think you guys will be proud of me. I've finally come to a choice between these two phones, and none other than these two. OK, as you all know I listen to Metal, Screamo, Indie/Rock, and Acoustic, with a tad bit of Rap. I need to know which Grado can is better, would it be the SR60's or the SR80's. I like bass, but want the one that is less muddy and clearer on highs, with the least forwardness in vocals/mids. Soooo, what do you guys think. There's also a bonus, these two are good without amps, so I won't need one anymore and it makes my wallet happier as the reciever I'm getting will have a built in amp...It's a good reciever I know though, just can't think of the brand. I do have one question, how long is the cable and do these come with 1/4 adaptors (adaptor isn't so much of a prob) and are the cords coiled?

Thanks
-Pez

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 92
Hi. The cable is not coiled on either model, but I'm not sure of the overall length. Most people do not recommend the SR80 over the SR60 - just not a big enough increase in SQ for the price. I believe most would advise you to jump up to the SR125 if you want better than the SR60 w/out going too high up the food chain (to the SR225 & >).

That said, not wanting "forwardness" in your Grados is like not wanting sugar in your Cap'n Crunch. It just ain't gonna happen. Grados are about "in your face" presentation and that's what people love about them. They'll be perfect for your music preferences. I say go with the SR60's. You'll have a blast listening to music on 'em!

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 92
The SR60's are fantastic headphones if their comfort isn't an issue. The SR60's come with "comfy" pads, and I find them (heh) comfy. Bass doesn't extend too low, but it's quite punchy and great for a lot of types of rock.

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 92
tape mod? any links? and what are the difference in the bowls on the 60's and the 80's?

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 92
The SR-60 didn't come with bowl pads at all. The SR-80 does. You can always get them from TTVJ for $15 and use it on the SR-60. That way you can decide which one is better for you. Some say the bowls are an issue regarding comfort. I have bowls in my SR-60, but keep the comfies in case i need more comfort. Some people prefer the comfort of the comfy pads over the better sound quality of the bolws. I chose the SR-60, but it's up to you.

Both come with the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter ...

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 92
Great question, I was actually planning on getting one of these two as well. I have a HEADSIX coming to me, and not to jack the OP's thread, but which would people choose amped? I'm also planning on doing a long-term review of the 5 or so different varieties of foam there are to choose from.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 92
so grado sr60's it is?

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 92
I would say SR80 as well if you are just comparing 60 and 80.

SR125 is definitely not worth the price jump.

SR80's with pads or comfies or modded ones based on your preference would be the best bet.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 92
well what's the difference in sq between the 60's and the 80's. What exactly do the 80's have that the 60's don't? If the 60's have a punchy bass, and the 80's are more bloated, than the 60's would be my choice.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 92
Based on my 80s tired with both flats and the stock pads, I'd say you want 80s. Anything like flat pads, including comfies, mushes up the low end, and subtracts detail, in my experience.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 92
so the 80's still have punchy bass too? Sorry i'm a noob to full sized cans, but I wanna find the best value and sound that I can out of these two.

I can get them for these prices:

SR60's for $52
SR80's for $75

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by RBYRER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a favor and check out the ms1's before deciding on the sr60s or sr80s. Just ask anybody on Headfi who has them and ask them what they think,

what does anyone else have to say? about ms1's?

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 92
Although I've never heard 60s, 80s, or ms1s, the general consensus I hear is that the ms1's are more neutral than the 60s or 80s. On the same note, they may not be as much 'fun' to listen to.

I also hear the ms1's are a great value, falling somewhere [sq wise] in between the 80s and 125s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back