sr60s and t4?
May 3, 2009 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

eric5469

100+ Head-Fier
Decided to take the plunge and bought a ipod 16bg nano, grado sr60s, and a LOD. I'm wanting to get a small, portable headphone amp in the $100 range. I really like the T4. Looks like it would pair good with a nano. Anybody use a t4 with sr60s? Does it make a difference? I'll be listening to lossless prob.
Thanks in advance

May 3, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 31
SR60 do not really require an amp from my memory, it sounds nice straight from an ipod, too bad it leaks a lot of sound and i cannot see how to use it as a portable 'phone.
SR60 + T4 ~ 200 USD
biggrin.gif
at this price SR-225 will be a lot better, and you can buy an amp later.
in your case i would use SR-60 from an ipod withount an amp

May 3, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 31
I thought that if I bypassed the ipod headphone jack and used the line out it would sound better? Is this not the case with new ipods? This is all new to me. I bought the sr60s having never heard them. For the money they seem to get pretty good reviews.
thanks again

May 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 31
The T4 bass boost is subtle but effective...this alone might be worth it. I have the 325i but I haven't experimented with it and T4.

I believe it will sound better to use the line out into an external amp but that would be up to your ears to decide...me, I amp everything.

May 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 31
Perhaps the T4's "warmness" would compliment the sr-60. You would definitely notice a sound change from the headphone to the LOD. Although, maybe you should save the cash and get a fiio e5. Put the money saved to a higher end set of cans which would really benefit from amping. I do not really know if your would discern much difference with the sr-60.

Just my two cents.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 31
thanks for the input guys. i ordered an e5 and if i can tell a difference i'll get a t4. i thought maybe the t4 would help the brightness of the sr60s. i defin. want to go from the lod of the ipod especially since i already ordered a qables lod. i'm just wanting to get my feet wet in portable amps and headphones.
thx

May 3, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 31
The only Grado I have is the RS-1 which as you can imagine it is not used as a portable. However I have for the heck of it used a T4 with it and IMO it sounds quite good. I have said it before and will repeat myself the T4 is a heck of a nice sounding amp and a bargain of a price.

May 4, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric5469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Decided to take the plunge and bought a ipod 16bg nano, grado sr60s, and a LOD. I'm wanting to get a small, portable headphone amp in the $100 range. I really like the T4. Looks like it would pair good with a nano. Anybody use a t4 with sr60s? Does it make a difference? I'll be listening to lossless prob.
Thanks in advance

Honestly for price / performance, I would strongly recommend the PA2V2 amp by Gary. Some of the best customer service as well. Only $65 and it pairs very well with Grado headphones.

May 4, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly for price / performance, I would strongly recommend the PA2V2 amp by Gary. Some of the best customer service as well. Only $65 and it pairs very well with Grado headphones.

But the appeal of the T4 which is super compact (really tiny!) form factor is something that PA2V2 can't beat. I have had a brief listen to the T4 a couple of months ago and I will admit that I was impressed with the SQ level - my only gripe is that the T4 seems to struggle to drive anything higher than 100 oHm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back