Dec 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Razorback

Head-Fier
Could you please answer guys...
smile_phones.gif

SR60i or SR80 which one is better?

Thanks..

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 16
The SR80 is higher up in the Grado product line. It's the next product up from the SR60. I've had both. I liked the SR-80 better but that was when the SR-80 had different cushions. The doughnuts (L-Cush pads) sound better to my ears than the flats. They put the ear a little further from the driver and leave nothing between the ear and the driver. The flats press your ear directly up to the driver and leave foam between ear and driver. The one benefit of the flats is that you get more bass, even if the sound stage is squished. If you want the next best thing in flats, you can do a quarter mod (cut a quarter sized hole in the center of the flat pads). Except for the pads, I don't really see much difference between these two phones. My first Grados were SR-80s because I was willing to pay for peace of mind. You figure you're stuck with what you buy and for a few dollars more, it was worth it to simply buy the product one step higher in the line. But when I buy Grados to tinker with, I buy used SR-60s because they're cheaper.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 16
He is asking if the newer SR60(i) is better than the old SR80. That's an interesting question.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR80 is higher up in the Grado product line. It's the next product up from the SR60. I've had both. I liked the SR-80 better but that was when the SR-80 had different cushions. The doughnuts (L-Cush pads) sound better to my ears than the flats. They put the ear a little further from the driver and leave nothing between the ear and the driver. The flats press your ear directly up to the driver and leave foam between ear and driver. The one benefit of the flats is that you get more bass, even if the sound stage is squished. If you want the next best thing in flats, you can do a quarter mod (cut a quarter sized hole in the center of the flat pads). Except for the pads, I don't really see much difference between these two phones. My first Grados were SR-80s because I was willing to pay for peace of mind. You figure you're stuck with what you buy and for a few dollars more, it was worth it to simply buy the product one step higher in the line. But when I buy Grados to tinker with, I buy used SR-60s because they're cheaper.

I believe you are mistaking the flats pads with the stock Grado comfies

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckchan526 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
newbie here.. i'm going to buy a used sr60i.. how to differenciate between sr60i vs sr60, visually? couldn't find any photos..

I believe the i models have a longer chamber, and the comfies instead of flats.

SR80 would be the step up from SR60i. I believe the SR80 I compared with the sr60i back then had more bass.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR60i or SR80 which one is better?

Razorback, happy new year to you.
I assume that there will be a very minimal difference between these two headphones. Buying anyone from these two will still be a good choice. However, if you have a limited budget, SR60i might be the better choice, like what I've done with my SR60.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 16
I wasn't a fan of the original SR-80, and haven't tried the i's unfortunately.

Personally, if we were talking about the original SR line I'd take the SR-60 over the 80 regularly considering it was more neutral. However, I get ear fatigue easily with bright cans.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 16
There's more aesthetic differences than there are sonic differences between the i and non i versions of the Grado. Moving up the line does prove significant though. The 80 is an improvement over the 60i.

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I chose 60i over 80i because I couldn't hear much difference when I tried them at J&R. But it was bit of a crowded place so go figure.

interesting.. maybe the place was too loud to hear the details??

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Put the pads from the 80s on the 60s presto changeo you have 80s.
Come on guys look at them real close I have. Take them apart I have. The only diffrence in those two headphones is the pads. That alone does make a diffrence in the sound. The only diffrences in most Grados are small things cables close matching of speakers. Size of chambers what they are made of these things change the sound a little bit most just sound diffrent maybe not better depends on who you are. I have Grados and like them have tore all of them apart more then a few times except the RS1 the diffrences are not that great. Alot has to do with what we hook them up to. We like to think there are big diffrences because we spent are hard earned money and of course we couldnt be wrong could we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back