SR60 vs. EH350 vs. HD485 for rock/blues & gaming
Oct 12, 2007 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

santiclaws

100+ Head-Fier
Which would you suggest? Sound leaking is not very important, but comfort is. I own a pair of KSC-75's which I currently use, and they sound pretty good to me, but clip-ons are kind of a pain at home, my ears start to hurt after a while, plus I'd like a step up in sound quality.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which would you suggest? Sound leaking is not very important, but comfort is. I own a pair of KSC-75's which I currently use, and they sound pretty good to me, but clip-ons are kind of a pain at home, my ears start to hurt after a while, plus I'd like a step up in sound quality.

Bueler?

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, SR60's are fail in the gaming category, but good for the music (if they're anything at all like my MS-1's which I think they are).

Hmm, the SR60's were my "frontrunner." Why do you not recommend them?

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, the SR60's were my "frontrunner." Why do you not recommend them?

not enough bass-impact (read booming explosions are a no-no) for games/films and the rather (to use a slight euphemism) small soundstage is not really helpful for gaming either (there are other headphones that will allow you to hear the direction stuff is coming from much clearer than the SR-60)

one type of headphones that is often recommended for gaming is the closed ATH-series (A900, A700, A500). I have the A900 and I can see why: wide soundstage for a closed headphone; a bit of isolation (not much though) and quite a lot of bass (not really refined though)... but because of their recessed mids and slight bass-bloat, I wouldn't really recommend them for music (unless you like that sound-sig of course). I don't do any gaming (anymore) and do enjoy my SR-60 and MS2i much more for music, so I'll be selling my A900 probably

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 8
My main concern is the soundstage for the Grados. Bass impact makes the game sound better, but in the performance category, soundstage is what's going to hurt them. With their small soundstage, it's hard to locate positions. So, if you're playing an FPS like counter-strike or any of those games, you won't be able to locate the enemy based on sound, which is a HUGE factor.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Man, if I could come up with a can that does everything well, I'd make a billion. And that's just from the folks on this forum.

OK, so the Grados are out because they don't do gaming. HD485's and EH350's do OK for both music and gaming? Most "gaming" headphones recommended around here are of the closed variety, which I'd prefer to avoid, I think.

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 8
why not closed?

the ATH do have an open series as well (AD900, AD700, ...) which are said to sound better for music than the closed versions
wink.gif

I have the Sennheiser HD497 (I actually dunno if it sounds like the HD485) and I only use it for testing DIY-projects... sooooo muddy and unbalanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back