SR60->SR80-> What next? help please!
Feb 9, 2004 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Ok guys,

after a long time using the sr60s, i bought the sr80s and was blown away...

im finally ready to upgrade...

I listen mainly to MP3s on my PC / IPOD + the occasional CD / DVD-A.....

Im looking for something REALLY comfy... the sr80/60 causes no sonic fatigue at all, but the compression of the bowl pads on my ears causes me discomfrot after about 1/2 an hour...

im looking for some cans that are SUPER comfy to wear for 2-3 hours at least. maybe even more if i sleep with them on hahaha....

so im looking at the sr 325s, senn 580/600s and possibly some AKGs...

i like my sound with good bass, not too bright. i listen to rock. jazz, dance music..

i'll probably get XIN's super dual amp when it comes out.

Any advice? on which i should get? I've been using grado's all along, but i hear great stories abt the quality/comfort of the senns....

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 11
Grado SR225 with Flat pads! That should solve your comfort problems with the bowls. Great bass and detail, not bright like the lower models tend to be.

I can't really recommend the HD580/HD600 for use without an amp...I have no idea if you'd like the sound more, but I'm sure you'd find them much more comfortable.

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Definitely order some flats and give them a whirl. Many have decided Grados are quite comfy while wearing them with these pads. In fact, my wife, who has very sensitive ears ONLY uses SR60's and flats or Koss KSC 35's. No other headphone suits her. She hates the feeling and clamping of the HD580/600/650, she hates the bulk of the CD3000/R10s and Etys? Come on now...that is far to painful for her. Seriously, touching her ears one is likely going to end up with a black eye. Though I bet John Grado would get a kiss on the cheek for inventing some headphones that she can tolerate.

As for upgrading...well...if you buy used...may as well just go for the RS-1's straight away. Skip the 325s and your "upgradoing."

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 11
DT880s are comfy and they sound amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 11
Sony CD780 would be a step up from the SR80s in definition and comfort. If you like the Grado sound the jump to SR225 is at least as much as from SR60 to SR80. I think the jump to SR225 is greater than SR325, in fact, except in definition and more than SR225 to RS1.

Should receive CD3000s soon and will certainly try them off the iPod, but that is likely to be overkill.

Finally, I think the Ety ER4P/S are the iPod phones. At least consider them.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
As for upgrading...well...if you buy used...may as well just go for the RS-1's straight away. Skip the 325s and your "upgradoing."

Right on!

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 11
It sounds like you like the Grado's a lot. I think you should try the new pads first before diving in and buying a SR225 or SSR325.

Sennheiser headphones have a very different sound. If you are interested in looking for a different sounding headphone, I recommend auditioning some HD580's or HD600.

Feb 9, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 11
About the senns... some people love 'em, others can't get over the intimacy of the grados. You most definitely need an amp for the HD-580s and HD-600s, and even then, you may find you like the "Grado sound" more. Headphones are a very personal thing... the Senn 600-series 'phones are awesome. So are the Stax cans and John Grado's products.

Try out the SR-225, SR-325, and a Senn 'phone. Buy the winner, and if it's Sennheiser, buy an amp too -- you'll probably get one eventually, anyways. (I said I never needed one, now I own three!)

Feb 10, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 11
What do you guys think? I've been a lurker for a long time and got the sr-60 about a month and a half ago, and a MINT about 2 weeks afterward. I've got to say, I'm blown away by what these $69 cans can do. To what realm of audio bliss would the 225 take me? Also, how much does it benefit from an amp, e.g., will I see a noticeable difference b/w the 225 unamped and the 225 amped? Thanks (Although I probably won't be upgrading for a few months, family doesn't understand, and birthday is coming up. I know, I know, "welcom to Head-Fi and sorry about my wallet"
biggrin.gif
)!

Feb 11, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Here are my observations:

The sonic improvements going from SR60(unamped) to SR225(unamped) is considerably greater than going from SR60(unamped) to SR60(amped). The sonic improvements going from SR225(unamped) to SR225(amped) is quite a bit greater that going from SR60(unamped) to SR60(amped). I had my SR60's(unamped) for about 10 months (and LOVED them for that whole time). When my ears were telling me that they were looking for more of the inner detail of the music, I went to the SR225's(unamped) for about four months, and was amazed at the detail I was getting for those months. Then, I decided to try a PPA to see what the amp buzz was about, and was taken to a whole new level of music quality and enjoyment, with the 225's. The 60's improved with the PPA, but not nearly to the extent that the 225's did. (To my Ears, On my Rig, YMMV, ...).

Feb 11, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 11
Well... I can certainy help on this one. I had the SR-60s and just got my 225s 3 days ago. I have tried them amped/un amped, and out of different sources... my conclusion is there is an extreme audible difference between the 225s and 60s. What ive noticed is that each instrument's sound is much more focused and exact. Its not as jumbled sounding as the 60s. The entire audio spectrum is enhanced and sounds far more clear and neutral. The only thing negative I can say about the 225s is that they are a little harsh at first until your ears adjust to the treble or after you burn them in.

I still own a pair of Senn 600s and at the moment, they are not on my head
wink.gif

Get the 225s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back