SR60, SR80, or MS-1
Oct 3, 2008 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

GrantK

New Head-Fier
I am in the process of getting a Zune. I am also trying to decide whether I should get the Alessandro MS-1, or the SR60, or SR80. I have only had a chance to listen to the SR60.

The price for the MS-1 is about $20 more than the SR60. The SR80 is about $33 more than the SR60.

I know the MS-1 is supposed to be more laid back sounding than the SR60.

I listen to a lot of old school Rock, new country, and some jazz.

My old headphones were AKG 240M which I really liked, but are too big to be portable.

I won't be using the Grado/Alessandros on the bus/subway as I'll be using some IEMs. I plan to use the Grado/Alessandros when I go for walks, go to the park, and of course listening at home.

Based upon your experiences, which set of phones do you think would best work for my situation?

Thanks,

Grant

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 16
the sr-80 is less than $23 more than the sr60 (according to headroom's prices) and would also get my vote as both the sr 60 and ms-1's come with comfies pads and I much prefer bowl pads that the sr-80 comes with.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 16
I like the MS-1 over the SR-60. I haven't heard the SR80 but he MS-1 is a more balanced and versatile headphone making it better suited to most music. The SR60 isn't bad, but the upper mid/lower treble boost is very fatiguing and annoying in my opinion. I also don't care for the bowl pads. They bring out the upper mids and treble even more and aren't as comfortable as the comfie pads. MS-1 with comfie pads (they come with them) sounds best imo.

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 16
Hi Whee,

I guess I should have mentioned I am in Canada. The prices I quoted were in Canadian dollars. Headphones.com won't ship to Canada, but even if they did, I'd have to pay duties which would probably make it more than what I could get it from a local dealer.

Grant

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 16
Just a comment about the bowls vs comfy - I personally prefer the bowl pads because the bass is better (I also taped my bowls, which increased the bass impact slightly), and the sound is a bit clearer. I'm not sure how sensitive your ears are, but my ears stick out and the comfies made my ears hurt after 20 minutes since they pushed my ears against my head, whereas the bowls I can leave on for 45 minutes or more. The MS1 isn't a very comfortable headphone general.
I am looking to pad the headband on mine, which will hopefully make them more civilized. Another thing I did to make mine more comfortable was stretching them over a basketball for a weekend.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 16
If the new Zunes sound anything like the Zune30's, I think you'll like the sound coming out of them with MS-1 w/ bowls.

Great synergy, I think.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 16
i just ordered a Ms-1 lol pretty much have to w8 as they are now currently backordered by 2 weeks.... sad thing cuz im in canada and wad they told me in the email is that it might take 3 weeks to reach overall
frown.gif
anyway but im sure these headphones are worth the w8!! 99 bucks wif shipment is really a great deal!

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Any at all would be fine. I've got the SR80s and after that I've been hooked on buying higher end stuff. spent almost 2k on this site and I've been here less than 6 months!!! My SR80s are tricked out with liberators a custom headband and custom vinyl rod stoppers. Next mod for them? Replacing them with SR225s.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I'd go with the MS-1. Had them and really love them. I'm sure I'll get another pair in the future. Also listened to the SR80 at a friend's, but was very briefly. Impressions of SR80: very detailed (as in bright), nice attack. Sounds like Grado. Yeah it does, but I like the Alessandro better I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 16
I guess I'm one of the few people who actually prefer the SR60 over the SR80. I've closele listened to both of them, actually the entire range up to the SR225, and feel that the SR60 is just the best bang for the buck. Bass on the SR80 really isn't that much better i.m.o. (it's probably tighter, but because of that there also quit less of it), so be sure to get a good impression of what other people mean by 'better/weaker' bass and whether or not this matches your own interpretation.
The real next step up are the SR225's, which are considerably better in every respect, so I ended up owning both the SR60, for the same kind of use as you describe, and the SR225 for involved and fun listening at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back