SR60 questions.
Apr 17, 2009 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

miloxo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Im looking for a headphone for home use, closed/open doesnt care
redface.gif

Im leaning forward tot he SR60, but i read that they are very good for rock/metal. So i dont know how they sound with trance. I listen mostly to melodic trance with alot of high tones (like piano) and also to relaxing music from Ryan Farish/Enigma/etc. Soundstage is important too. The bass should be there but not overwhelming.

will the SR60 sound good with this kind of music? Or should i look for another one? my budget is around $60, but i can go a little higher if it beats the SR60 completely
o2smile.gif

I do not own an amp at the moment.

thnx in advance
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 9
I think for the price, you would be hard-pressed to find something better sounding than the SR-60.

I often listen to violin concertos on the SR-60, and they have a very pleasant sound in the highs which I would imagine to be great for your type of listening.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 9
I wouldn't get SR60s for trance, but that's just me. I might look for some denons or something else maybe. I just don't find the grados immersive enough for music like that - too direct without much soundstage at all, imho. Then again, I have the same reaction to the SR60s for most kinds of music, so I think I'm just not a "grado" kind of guy. :-o

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I think that the SR 60's are fast enough for trance, but they don't have the widest soundstage in the "under 100 USD" criteria. While the Denon d1001 may offer a wide soundstage, I don't think they're fast enough for trance; however, I don't listen to much trance, so I'm trying to go off memory.

I think it's almost a "try before you buy" kind of situation.

Nylan

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, I'm not sure if the SR60 would be the best for trance -- straight rock, yes, but trance uses and needs a bigger, wider soundstage, open sound, and the Grado's are pretty in-your-face with most everything.

I'm not sure what to suggest because the only trance I hear is my teen son blasting it out of our home computer speakers from YouTube DJ's!!!

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, I'm a grado fan, but trance is definitely one of grado's weker genres. All of their plastic housed headphones are particularly weak with that genre. Personally, I would look elsewhere.

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

I'm not sure what to suggest because the only trance I hear is my teen son blasting it out of our home computer speakers from YouTube DJ's!!!

The problem is that i dont listen to common, commercial type of trance. more the melodic/ambient type. I find the melody WAY more important then the kick/bass. This melody is mostly a piano or anything else with high tones

Unfortanly I do not have an option to try some of the headphones, no nearby audio store here
frown.gif

but anyways, what other options do i have?
beyersmile.png

thnx alot for all the help ^^

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 9
The AD700 would be a much better option if you could stretch your budget a bit. Maybe the DTX900 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back