SR60/KSC75 worth it?
Apr 18, 2007 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kardon

New Head-Fier
I'd really like to hear some SR60's, or even some KSC75's, unfortunately neither of those cans are easily found in my location. I'm sure if I really wanted I could manage to track a pair down, but is it really worth it? SR60's from a canadian reseller is around $130CND, and only place I know for KSC75's is ncix. Right now I only have some mdr D66 eggos, and ATH CM7's. I really like my eggos, but the CM7's don't feel right. How do the eggos compare to the 60's and 75's? Is it worth my time? Also, how does the CK7 compare to the CM7?

BTW: Source is either a MacBook, or a 80GB iPod, both fresh from the jack. I was looking into a PA2V2.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 21
Go with the ksc75's. They are worth it. Sr-60's barely have any soundstage, and ksc75's sound warmer and more full bodied. Sr-60's also do not have very much bass (ksc75's have a little bit more). Unless you're primarily listening to metal, you should go with ksc's.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojyarumaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the ksc75's. They are worth it. Sr-60's barely have any soundstage, and ksc75's sound warmer and more full bodied. Sr-60's also do not have very much bass (ksc75's have a little bit more). Unless you're primarily listening to metal, you should go with ksc's.

i'd say the opposite... unless recabled and kramered, i find the ksc75's to sound kinda hollow in the lower midrange..

i'd say SR-60 all the way.. but since your in canada it might be too much money

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 21
Another thing I forgot to add, I will be listening to everything from Ben Folds, Supertramp, Beatles, Sufjan Stevens, Interpol, LCD Soundsystem, Death From Above 1979, and so on. No real hard metal, and rather soft rock. Will it be worth it to purchase some KSC75's when I already have a (possibly) higher end headphone?

I could possibly get some SR60's for $80CND, which is MUCH nicer than the price offered by Canadian resellers.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 21
and gary is in canada too (pa2v2 maker) so that might help your budget abit

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 21
KSC75s are regarded as a decent "all arounder" meaning they sound pretty good with all different kinds of music. SR60 not as much of "all arounder" but IMO I would rather have the SR60.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 21
I would say the Koss' if you want a lower profile headphone, I love my SR80's (the same as the 60 model but with more bass) but they can be cumbersome at times in public. Might get some ksc-75's sometime actually..

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 21
If the SR-60 and iGrado indeed use the same drivers, then I have to say I am kind of disappointed with the Grado quality. My Koss GT-5 kicked my iGrado's *****, the GT-5's use similar driver as the KSC-35's (and the KSC-75's titanium is supposed to be better than the 35's non-coated?). btw, I always use an amp.

I guess SR-60 use better acustically tuned housing than iGrado, so they should sound better (they better do!
mad.gif
).

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #10 of 21
You should go for a pair of Alessandro MS-1 instead. A slight increase in price, but it is generally thought to be an equivalent to Grado SR-125, but more neutral sounding and overall very highly regarded. You can only get these directly from Alessandro.

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 21
I was also looking at some MS1's because they don't "discriminate" against canadian buyers... Will both of these headphones improve with an amp? From what I have read the D66's don't change much so I never bothered, and would the SR60s/KSC75's play well with a PA2V2?

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 21
Kardon, I have to say I'm a little disappointed you didn't pick up my SR60s. They did sell soon after, so I'm not upset b/c of that, but because I absolutely love those headphones and had to jump up a long ways to find something I thought was significantly better. They are far, far better than my KSC65s in detail retrieval and treble grain. Really no comparison, to my ears. I felt a little silly wearing them outdoors, though...

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 21
What about Porta Pros. I loved mine but lost them & haven't replaced yet. They have a certain nerd factor though. Don't know if they are better than the KSC75's which I haven't listened to. Not even sure where I can get them here either. Your $130 is better that the $200 the Grado dealer Bay Bloor wanted here... so last week I ordered a pair of MS-1's. Still waiting for them. Not sure how often I'll be using them outdoors, except in the backyard, cool:. Want to try some IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back