SR60 Impressions from a several time budget grado owner
Aug 16, 2007 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got the sr60s again cause i missed having a great cheap headphone around and they were basically my fave throughout the 90s. I hooked them up to my ipod directly before any burn in and gave them a listen with intent to scrutinize
biggrin.gif
I know I should burn these in like any headphone before judgement but remembered that these don't really change much so I said screw it and let the fun begin.

First impression, hmm nice balance for a cheap headphone... makes my 80s new wave thick and listenable. pretty good out of the ipod but improved a lot with my headfive. It just sounded more controlled, punchy, and powerful. Great match with the crossfeed on.

Now for some ABing with the other two headphones I have at the moment. First the 595. Surprisingly, the 595 almost has the same perspective as the grado unlike my memory of the 580s which was too laid back and sterile to me for my music. The 595 just has more air, top end extension, soundstage, and realistic texturing(esp drums) going for it without being dull with 80s music like the 580s (from memory). The sr60 has a plastic coloration going on and some sibilance. I remember the plastic coloration and the fake highs to be the only major downfall of the grados but thought the bass was more substantial than what I'm hearing now. Maybe the bass is what will improve the most during burn in, hmm. I compared the two headphones with a lot of music and 595 wins with all music whether amped or unamped. The 595 actually improves less( compared to ipod 5g headamp) with the headfive than the grado by the way. Grados are great though if they are not AB'd against the 595.

The next headphone to compare with the sr60 is my white px100. The Grado wins in bass, mids, to treble balance when eq is off compared to the bassy and dark px100 but the px100 is less grainy and more dynamic. The drums and cymbals sound more real and dimensional while the grado is flat sounding and coarse in the lower treble in comparison. The ipod also controls the px100 with more grip than it does the sr60. Turn on treble booster EQ for the px100 and I have a portable champ that sounds great with the ipod 5g. Looks like the sr60 is going to my cousin cause Ive finally graduated from its sound that I used to love even more than hd580s
confused.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 23
Plastic coloration? Is that evident in all Grados you've tried?

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 23
That was an interesting story, and it's nice that you revisited an old friend.
Your coursin will most likely be delighted if he does not already have nice headphones.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I remember my sr60 before sounded exactly the same as this new one except I thought it had more bass but the plastic coloration has always been there. Its a lower treble/upper mid boost that causes it. The ms1 also had it.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was an interesting story, and it's nice that you revisited an old friend.
Your coursin will most likely be delighted if he does not already have nice headphones.
biggrin.gif

He wants to buy it though. He's paying me exactly how much I got them for

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 23
plastic coloration to me is like the sound you get from a cheap boombox with a plastic speaker enclosure. Instead of having a woody box coloration for a speaker with a wooden box, you get a plastic one.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 23
sr60s seem to be the next best invention since the chick magnet. Arguably, tied with the personal computer

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

The sr60 has a plastic coloration going on and some sibilance. I remember the plastic coloration and the fake highs to be the only major downfall of the grados...

So, you notice it too? It was especially evident on my SR225s, even more so than on my SR60s. The 325s and HF1s I heard also had this same sound.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 23
hd 595 lovin! yeaaaaa!

but seriously, they are nice and fun headphones to listen to. comfy to boot!

the only gripe i have with them is that i need a bit more bass kick/impact... hopefully i can fix this with bass boost... =]

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plastic coloration to me is like the sound you get from a cheap boombox with a plastic speaker enclosure. Instead of having a woody box coloration for a speaker with a wooden box, you get a plastic one.

man u made me want to wooden my ms-1
blink.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aren't the 595's plastic too. Mine don't sound plastic.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 23
There is slight plastic feeling tonality in Grado sound (SR325i has it too, not sure about wooden ones) due to spikes in uppermids, atleast after you have used other brands of headphones. It fades away fast for me though.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the 595's plastic too. Mine don't sound plastic.

the senns are plastic but they don't have that plastic coloration in the upper mids that the grados have.

Maza, the coloration never dissapears for me but it doesn't bother me so much in a 70 dollar headphone. It will bother me though if it is still present in the rs series of grados
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back