SR60 comfy pad mod - only for better Grado Models?
Nov 14, 2004 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Venro

Head-Fier
I'm a bit confused. I'm hearing in many places that cutting a nickel-sized hole in my Grado SR60s' ear pads will give me better performance when sticking these modded pads on other Grado headphones. People always say "take the Grado SR60 pads, cut a hole in them, and stick them on an RS-1."

But what about the SR60? Will cutting a hole actually help performance on the SR60 itself? And if so, why didn't Grado think of this?

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 6
The hole allows more detail and high frequencies to be heard. Some argue that this is good, while others argue that it should be left the way it is because the highs on the phone can be overpowering etc. I personally have "inverted" comfies which sound absolutely awesome to me (though, I'll admit that there ARE some instances in which the highs are shrill).

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venro
I'm a bit confused. I'm hearing in many places that cutting a nickel-sized hole in my Grado SR60s' ear pads will give me better performance when sticking these modded pads on other Grado headphones. People always say "take the Grado SR60 pads, cut a hole in them, and stick them on an RS-1."

But what about the SR60? Will cutting a hole actually help performance on the SR60 itself? And if so, why didn't Grado think of this?

I tried quarter-modded comfies on my SR-60 and found the highs too bright/shrill, so I cast my vote for stock comfies with the SR-60. With the MS1--modded comfies sounded better and are my most preferred pads.

-coma

Nov 15, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 6
To answer your question, i think it is also meant to help all grado headphones you plan on using the comfy pads with. Soundwaves travel best through air rather than padding so if you cut out some of the padding the sound will be more accurate. Some people (as seen above) prefer the "distortion" that comes with the pads since it can cut out some overbaring frequencies (like the accented highs that some criticize these headphones for having).

If you want pads that you don't have to cut, radio shack sells replacement pads (not necessarily for grado's but they fit) for like 3 bucks that are thin (less padding to go through), yet comfortable, assuming you don't have the phones squeezing your head in.

Nov 15, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I tried quarter-modded comfies on my SR-60 and found the highs too bright/shrill, so I cast my vote for stock comfies with the SR-60. With the MS1--modded comfies sounded better and are my most preferred pads.

-coma

Agreed. I tried flats and bowls on my SR60 but I always ended up going back to the stock comfies. I can imagine preferring modded comfies, vwaps, flats, or even bowls on the MS-1 since it is more neutral and less shrill/bright.

I would think that stock comfies placed on an SR80/SR125/SR325 would help tame some of the brightness that people complain about. I wonder why I don't see many people using that combination?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back