SR325i vs HD650
Feb 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just got my 325i's and i'm not sure what to make of them. On first impressions they seem very one dimensional. speed and clarity is O.K. at best, but that seems to be about it. My HD650's offer far more richness and depth than the 325i's. Am I listening to them with the wrong view point or something?

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 36
Hi,

I think you need a slightly different perspective when listening to the 325is (or any other Grado). I've always found it takes a while to re-burn in your head when switching headphones. Given the fact that the Grado and the Senn are polar opposites, it mighte take a while to appreciate the differences. For me anyway. Even though I rotate my cans for listening, every time I switch, it takes getting used to.

I was never a the biggest fan of the 325is because I found them too shrill at the top for my liking. And I like a more forward headphone. But, I do and have enjoyed all the other Grados I've had.

Or maybe you're just not a Grado guy? Give them some exclusive time to figure out before you decide.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ross

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 36
i have a few Grado's in my collection, and many Sennheiser's. I don't know what i was expecting really. on to the AKG K702's then ... give them a go.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 36
It also depends on what you're listening to. If your listening habits involve classical orchestral music, you'll probably like the 650's better, whereas if you're listening to something like blues or rock, you'd probably prefer the 325i's. Try different kinds of music. Oh, and I agree with the above statement...the 325i's are also too bright for me.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 36
I consider myself a "Grado Guy" but I also consider my HD650 to be vastly superior.

Grados, for me, are for a certain mood and that certain "oomph" that no other phones seem to provide.

For sit-back listening the HD650 wipes the floor with everything I've ever heard.

EDIT: Don't give up on the Grados though, they are very different to what you're probably used to but they do some things no other phones can and remain a great option in anyone's phone collection IMO.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 36
When I first heard the 325i's I was expecting more of a leap from the 225's. They are actually pretty similar, but the 325's have more top end detail. Other than that, I found more similarities than differences in the limited time I had to hear them.

The RS1 is on another level. Bigger soundstage, euphonic bass, a much more refined sound (though I think the RS1 is still to bright).

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 36
I think the big jump in improvement in the prestige series happens from 80 to 125. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the 225 but have MS2i and while there was certainly improvement across the board, it's nowhere near the jump between 80 and 125, both of which I own/ have owned as well.

Would love to hear the RS1 to see if that is, as seems to be from suggestion, the next "big jump" in Grado quality.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 36
I liked the 325i when I first got them, they were quite detailed and somewhat exciting.

However, it didn't take long for me to tire of them - they were hard work to listen to for extended periods... For me it was a mix of them being rather shrill at times, the ear pads were a bit uncomfortable and the headband didn't clamp enough for my head.

I've now had my 650's for well over a year and I love them to bits. I can listen to them for hours and hours on end, they sound sublime, more relaxed but still crisp and detailed with lovely bass, plus they're super comfy!

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 36
The highs sound so different between these cans. It really does depend on what kind of music you're listening to for each. The Grados are great rock cans, but many can't take the sharpness of the highs too long.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 36
What was I thinking about .... Oh yeah. If the Alessandro MS-1 is an equivilent to the SR80/125, where does the MS-2' fit in?

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the big jump in improvement in the prestige series happens from 80 to 125. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the 225 but have MS2i and while there was certainly improvement across the board, it's nowhere near the jump between 80 and 125, both of which I own/ have owned as well.

Would love to hear the RS1 to see if that is, as seems to be from suggestion, the next "big jump" in Grado quality.

Being a previous SR125, SR225i and SR325is owner, I can say the jump between these cans was not much and actually dropped from the SR225i to the SR325is. But when I jumped to the RS1s, it was a H-U-G-E improvement in the Grado sound and to my ears the best can they make!

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider myself a "Grado Guy" but I also consider my HD650 to be vastly superior.

Grados, for me, are for a certain mood and that certain "oomph" that no other phones seem to provide.

For sit-back listening the HD650 wipes the floor with everything I've ever heard.

EDIT: Don't give up on the Grados though, they are very different to what you're probably used to but they do some things no other phones can and remain a great option in anyone's phone collection IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the 325i when I first got them, they were quite detailed and somewhat exciting.

However, it didn't take long for me to tire of them - they were hard work to listen to for extended periods... For me it was a mix of them being rather shrill at times, the ear pads were a bit uncomfortable and the headband didn't clamp enough for my head.

I've now had my 650's for well over a year and I love them to bits. I can listen to them for hours and hours on end, they sound sublime, more relaxed but still crisp and detailed with lovely bass, plus they're super comfy!

I know I've had them for less than a day, but my impressions so far is that the SR325i's eliminate bass warmth and a lot of midrange and get straight to high end detail. I find the HD650's can do 90% of the Grado's detail, but they seem to involve on all levels.

I've just tried Green day - When I come around. The 650's perform well across the range, but the 325's the vocals are nearly impossible to identify, and I’m left with a lot of guitar, and not much else. The vocals are harder to pin point.

I tried a bit of Drum and bass Receptor - Cigarette Lighter and the 325i's fell apart. Mind you the MS-1's (or MS-1i's I should say) really kick. The MS-1's have far better control than the 325's. O.K. slap my wrist, I know that Grado's aren't drum and bass headphones, and the detailing is there, the MS-1 really shine. Only had my MS-1's for a week or so and I've not tried them with D&B.

Iron Maiden - Bring you daughter to the Slaughter is very hard work. As with Green day, all I’m getting from the 325's is guitars, overpowering guitars and little else.

Vivaldi - Four Seasons. the Grado's are slightly ahead. The detailing at 0:35 to 1:06 is superb. Bach - Brandenburg Concerto Number 3 Again the detailing is better than the Sennheiser, however I can see the Grado's becoming tiring very quickly. I (personally) couldn't do two classical pieces in a row without a break. However I do get a bit happy withy the volume on my RSA, and classical music occupies a small amount of space on my iMac.

Again with Mozart - Symphony Number 40, the Grado's are better, but they also reveal bad recordings ... to a better degree. I think with classical and reasonable volume levels, the Grado's win.

I think a pair of Alessandro MS-2's are in order, for my ever-growing D&B collection.

The Stone Roses - Fools Gold - Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels Soundtrack , and the 325's are head and shoulders above the MS-1 (as well they should be).

Ocean Colour Scene - Hundred Mile High City - - Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels Soundtrack Again, recessed vocals put me in mind of the Ultrasone iCans and the dreadful Ultrasone Zino, which seem the suffer from the same issue of recessed mids and vocals.

So, as far as I can hear, if you appreciate a good jamming session guitars and classical music, then the SR325's are worth a go. For Drum and bass, it's the Alessandro's and for everything else it's the HD650's.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a previous SR125, SR225i and SR325is owner, I can say the jump between these cans was not much and actually dropped from the SR225i to the SR325is. But when I jumped to the RS1s, it was a H-U-G-E improvement in the Grado sound and to my ears the best can they make!

It's just that at £438 (todays exchange rate) the Alessandro MS-Pro look very tempting. The RS-2's will cost another £100 on top of that at least, and the RS-1's another £300.

699.00 USD
=
438.053 GBP
United States Dollars United Kingdom Pounds
1 USD = 0.626685 GBP 1 GBP = 1.59570 USD

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 36
MS2's for D&B, I doubt it. Just received mine last Friday, and have been struggling to make sense of them ever since. My comparison is the DT990's as opposed to the 650's. Yes they have more detail, but at complete loss of warmth and body.
Seriously contemplating the RS line, as I'd hate to backpedal to the 225's.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just that at £438 (todays exchange rate) the Alessandro MS-Pro look very tempting. The RS-2's will cost another £100 on top of that at least, and the RS-1's another £300.

699.00 USD
=
438.053 GBP
United States Dollars United Kingdom Pounds
1 USD = 0.626685 GBP 1 GBP = 1.59570 USD

I realize that they are expensive. I got mine used for $500 Cdn. They retail here for a whopping $999 Cdn and considering the Canadian dollar is on par with the US dollar, we're getting ripped off.

If you can, try and get a used set. They do pop up in the F/S forum here every now and then.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back