SR325i Initial Impressions
Jan 20, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Just took delivery of these from a fellow Head-fi member.

The box:
Cheap as hell, but sufficient protection. Just the pizza box that I expected!

The build:
Generally solid build. No worries about durability here. Nice leather headband that even smells of leather! Padding is just sufficient, but not overly generous. Nice golden cups that feel very solid. The cups are on the heavy side, which is good for durability but bad for comfort. Highly adjustable and definitely a one-size-fits-all. Generally impressed by the high-quality nature of these 'phones!

The sound:
F'ing bright is all I can say when I first tried them. No exaggeration here. These are by far the brightest cans I have EVER heard in my life. They are also my first Grado purchase. The detail is excellent and the soundstage is actually present. I played some percussion tracks through them and all I can say is EXCELLENT! The highs are very crisps (and too bright), mids are very rich indeed; the bass is amazing. The bass is ok, but the trade-off here is bass definition. I'm not only talking about deep bass, but general lows like 100Hz and below. The 100Hz and below region is very prominent and sometimes muddies the sound. I am used to Ety ER4S style clarity and these SR325i don't come even close to the same clarity. However, what they do excel in is their rich and full sound. I also have to add that their resolution and definition is very good.

To cure the brightness, I used the flats that were included with the phones and my word did it make a difference. The highs were much more controlled, but the bass was even more prominent. The whole low range is increased while cutting back on the highs. The mids sounded no different. Soundstage was further reduced with the flats, but still existent. I think my flats will stay on and the bowls can go.

vs. HD650:
Massive difference. HD650 much less bright. The sound is also much barer and in your face. You are on stage with the performers. Even those classical recordings that are recorded with a sense of soundstage sound like you're sitting on the first row. The bass is also much less controlled on the SR325i, but the mid range is soo much richer. This is not so good for symphonic works, but excellent for rock and guitar. The HD650 sound a lot more conservative and laid back. Overall, I will give the thumbs up to the HD650, but by no means are the SR325i bad. The HD650 are just a tad more versatile and offer a much more comfortable sound signature.

vs. ER4S:
SR325i much less detailed. Thicker more muscular sound. Sound extremely full. ER4S much more controlled and has extremely good clarity. SR325i also has good clarity, but doesn't come close. SR325i much more musical and fun to listen to than ER4S. Overall, it's a tie.

Conclusion:
Do not dare play classical music through these phones. They are CRAP for classical. Overwhelming bass (w/flats) and piercing highs (w/ bowls) means that there is no middleman in terms of the sound signature. Hence, keep them for your guitar, rock, pop tracks only. Remember to put on the flats though, otherwise the bowls will make your music sound too thin. Flats do increase listening fatigue though. I have to take them off every 20 minutes to rest my ears!

Overall, I give these phones the following scores (1-10, 10=best)

Comfort 9
Overall Bass 9
Overall Mids 8
Overall Highs 8
Detail 9
Listening fatigue 9
Build quality 10
Value 8
TOTAL 70 out of 80

Overall: B+/A-, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

UPDATE:
After some listening, my ratings have changed for listening fatigue. I noticed that listening fatigue was only really present when using flats. Bowls were much more comfortable and also easier on the ears sonically.

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Wow, no thoughts at all?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 10
You'll find that the brightness is tamed by burn in and amp choice. I'm using a MAD ear plus HD and I love the sound of my 325i's. I switch between flats and bowls depending on what I'm listening to. I find the soundstage or headstage or whatever quite good on these phones. Right now I'm listening to Oysterhead and the sound is practically binaural. Sounds are coming from above, below, closer and farther and with impressive width. Not too shabby at all. And this is with flats.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Wow, no thoughts at all?
rolleyes.gif

Sure:

I have a 325i (with stock bowls) and a HD600.

I pretty much agree with your conclusions, other than comfort. I find the 600s to be much more comfortable than the 325i. Not that the 325i is uncomfortable to me, more like just tolerable, while the 600s are bliss. I'm not sure how you would rate the Senn 6XX for comfort, if you gave the Grados a 9.

Other than that, I do find the Grados bright, but always grab them for rock & roll. I have also found that my Gilmore Lite helped to tame the brightness a bit, at least as compared to my PortaphileV2.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Oh yeh! I miss my 325i
mad.gif
, I don't know what amp you're using, but out of tubes, the highs really tame down a lot, yet keeping the nice detail that the 325i's dish out! Good luck!
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 10
So are you rating them with flats or bowls or both?

You say the ER4S is so much more detailed than the sr325i yet you score it a 9 for detail? also you say they are much less controlled in the bass department than the HD650 but give it a 9 anyway? I don't get your scoring system
tongue.gif

Listening fatigue with the flats but not bowls
confused.gif
That's backwards man! The flats make them sound very restricted in the highs at the same time bass heavy - it actually sounds like every note you're hearing is lower than it should be. It glosses over finer details and gives a overall smoother, thicker and weightier sound, but yeah, muddy and congested as hell. The bowls are the opposite being thin and unrestricted in the highs which can be sibilant on female vocals, the finer details are more present.

I like how they sound with comfies with a very large hole cut out of them best. Provides 95% the clarity and detail I hear with the bowls, without the sometimes peircing upper end and anorexic sound. It also deepens the sound a little, not as extreme as the flats and provides more bass compared to bowls.

Comfort wise, I think if the bowls fit around your ears to give a circumaural fit they're fine, but not when they're resting on outter edges of your ears. I find I can use bowls for longer periods. Although they dont sit as well on your head than the other pads.

I also think they go well with tube amps, I've only tried it with my LDII so far and it really makes a noticable difference. The midrange is even more rich.

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Overwhelming bass (w/flats) and piercing highs (w/ bowls) means that there is no middleman in terms of the sound signature.

Try reversing the bowl pads, this produces a sound in between normal bowls and flats.

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 10
My impressions of the SR325i were probably a little exaggerated impulse reactions. After some listening, the brightness is indeed not as bad as it seems. In fact, I'm finding it very enjoyable. I have gone back to using bowls as I find the sound a little less fatiguing. Detail is in fact very, very good, but yes, my rating system is flawed. I would give still give the SR325i a detail rating of 9, but the ER4S will go over the scale, just like Stereophile created the A+ rating for the Meridian 800 Series Reference CDP. I think my ears have probably gotten used to the Grado sound and I'm really loving it! Nice bass, good detail, non-fatiguing highs! I think the bowls have grown on me and I find them to be much less bright. Burn-in maybe?

Jan 21, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
The news of SR325i brightness has been greatly exaggerated.
confused.gif

Yes, maybe because I wasn't used to Grado sound. I have never ever used a pair of mid/high-end Grados and I wasn't accustomed to the brightness at all. I've used the SR60 and SR80, but never anything higher. Mind you I come from HD650!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
Sure:I'm not sure how you would rate the Senn 6XX for comfort, if you gave the Grados a 9.

To be honest, I don't find the comfort a problem at all. The bowls have surprisingly comfortable. The Senn HD6X0 series do have the sort of luxurious feel to them, but I don't find the comfort THAT much better. The bowls may be a little rougher, but I can tolerate that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back