sr225's enough volume??
Dec 15, 2004 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

X14Halo

Head-Fier
i have a concern... i just got a new soundcard for my laptop (audigy 2 zs notebook) and when I turn the volume up all the way, its not as loud as it used to be...this is with my default iPod headphones. My Grado sr225's will be here in 2 days. I am worried that they will not be loud enough. Is there anything I can do to increase the sound volume capacity for my laptop and headphones???

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 15
An Audigy will definatly not do justice to the SR-225's never mind a laptop version.

You would need a DAC and an amp if you want to drive them from your laptop.
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 15
Or rather, stop listening to your music so loud. Do you want to become deaf by the time you're 40?

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
An Audigy will definatly not do justice to the SR-225's never mind a laptop version.

frown.gif

whats a DAC, and could someone recommend a non-expensive but good amp. Thanks

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 15
could u give me a link to a good DAC and amp please theres so many haha i dont know what to choose. Thanks.
eggosmile.gif

edit: and by the way, I dont wanna spend alot of money, and I dont care about sound improvement at all. I just need something to make the pottential sound volume louder, thats all.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy

frown.gif

Blah, as if! And you're speaking from experience, I'm sure? *RIGHT*

You can drive the SR225s to the appropriate VOLUME level from practically any source (ear bleeding volumes included).

Unfortunately, a laptop sound card probably won't deliver the dynamic SOUND QUALITY that the SR225s are fully capable of from a better source.

A good way to supplement your SR225s from a laptop is to employ a USB soundcard/amp combination like an m-audio transit/echo indigo/headroom bithead...that might cost you anywhere from $100 to $200.

I've tried my SR225s from my friend's echo indigo and they sound fantastic out of it.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 15
what im saying is that when I turn the volume up all the way on my laptop, it isnt really all that loud through my headphones. Will an amp solve this issue? Remember, I dont care about any improvement in sound quality, I just need more volume.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by X14Halo
what im saying is that when I turn the volume up all the way on my laptop, it isnt really all that loud through my headphones. Will an amp solve this issue? Remember, I dont care about any improvement in sound quality, I just need more volume.

Yes, an amp should solve this problem.

I really don't understand why your laptop would have problems driving your SR225s to an appropriate volume, however.

What exactly are you plugging into your laptop right now in order to test the sound?

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 15
i wont have my sr225's for another 2 days. I just got my audigy 2 zs notebook soundcard (the one that plugs into PCMCIA slot) and I have my default iPod headphones hooked to that. With my default soundcard, I could get the volume pretty loud...now with this new soundcard, the maximum volume isnt very loud. Suggestions?

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by X14Halo
i wont have my sr225's for another 2 days. I just got my audigy 2 zs notebook soundcard (the one that plugs into PCMCIA slot) and I have my default iPod headphones hooked to that. With my default soundcard, I could get the volume pretty loud...now with this new soundcard, the maximum volume isnt very loud. Suggestions?

I would consider consulting the computer-as-source forum.

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Did you check your volume controls and drivers? I haven't tried the audigy card but some cards have their own volume controls on top of the Windows generic volume control.

Is the card working? When the audigy card is plugged in, is there still audio in the headphone out on the laptop? If so, the card may not be functioning or drivers incorrectly installed.

The audigy 2 zs, does it have a line out only(doubtful)? If so then you'll need an amp.

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 15
You shouldn't need an amp for SR225s for volumn sake. It'll do some good on the quality side and certainly will make it louder, but I don't understand why you'd need one just for that. The SR225 are very easy to drive. Just give them a try for awhile and if you still feel you need an amp then make your decision then.

Dec 15, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Blah, as if! And you're speaking from experience, I'm sure? *RIGHT*

Not the 225's in particular, but I own an Audigy and it does not do justice to anything... except maybe EAX, but that's not sound quality.

Quote:

You can drive the SR225s to the appropriate VOLUME level from practically any source (ear bleeding volumes included).

Indeed.

Quote:

Unfortunately, a laptop sound card probably won't deliver the dynamic SOUND QUALITY that the SR225s are fully capable of from a better source.

Exactly.

Quote:

A good way to supplement your SR225s from a laptop is to employ a USB soundcard/amp combination like an m-audio transit/echo indigo/headroom bithead...that might cost you anywhere from $100 to $200.

I've tried my SR225s from my friend's echo indigo and they sound fantastic out of it.

Glad to hear it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back