SR225's: bowls or flats - which do you prefer?
Jul 15, 2005 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been enjoying my SR225's since Monday and have been swapping back and forth between flats and bowls. I like both, and I'm leaning a little more towards the flats right now, but I think they may be better suited to a brighter phone such as the 325, to get the perfect balance between the bass of the flats and the brighter nature of the 325's themselves.

So which do you prefer on your 225's (or 325's for that matter) - bowls or flats? I'm thinking of putting my bowl pads under some heavy books for a night to get me sort of in-between the typical bowl sound and the flat sound. Anyone tried this?

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 36
Prefer bowls on my MS2 and the SR225 I demo'd.

I washed mine in warm soap water and just wore them for a couple weeks. now theyre soft and confirm easily to my ears.

Garrett

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Prefer bowls on my MS2 and the SR225 I demo'd.

I washed mine in warm soap water and just wore them for a couple weeks. now theyre soft and confirm easily to my ears.

Garrett

I did that and it did help quite a bit with the comfiness. I'm surprised how much dye comes out when you do that! So you prefer the bowls, huh?

I'm anxious to take my flats with me to the store tomorrow and put them on some 325's to see how it tames them & reigns them in..

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
bowls. flats sound muddy to me.

+1 vote

Definitely bowls on the 225's, I could handle the flats on my old MS-2i's but the 225's and lower need the bowls...otherwise I miss the high end detail.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
On the bowls versus flats issue, I always found the bowls piercingly bright.

I prefer flats for much the same reason. Also IMO things like cymbals have a tendency to be too prominent/forward with the bowls to the point of distorting the balance of the music (typically rock in that case).

Ant

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 36
Maybe it's the type of music I listen to, hard rock/metal. Perhaps classical and such benefit from the sharpness that bowls provide. That would be consistent with people liking the Etys for classical but not for rock.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 36
Bowls always sounded fine to me, never saw the need to switch.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 36
I prefer flats on the 225's over bowls. The highs on the bowls were way too sharp for my music, and the flat pads seemed to tame them really well.

You should also consider Larry's c-pads, they provide a different sound with loads more bass and actually a soundstage! Not to mention the extra comfort...I preferred these on my 225's.

On my ms2i's however, I prefer the bowls over anything.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #11 of 36
I've been experimenting with both, and haven't found a really major difference. I think the effect they have may be quite dependent on your head and ear size/shape. I have quite small ears. Even with the bowls, the drivers are pretty much right on them.

With the flats, they are definitely pressing right on my ears. The bass is a bit more prominent, and I think I prefer the sound with them (close call though). It's definitely easier to wear sunglasses with the flats!

People's experiences of the different pads vary so much, I think anatomical differences could well play a part.

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 36
I prefer extended bowls ... with my hp2 AHAH AH [size=medium]AH[/size] [size=large] AH [/size] [size=x-large]AH[/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif
k1000smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

icon10.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:06 AM Post #13 of 36
bowls by far...flats seem to limit the somewhat limited soundstage of my
225s. there is a fullness of recorded audio tracks that seems to get lost on my
flats. rock is in your face with the flats which can be a dynamic and fun thing,
but over and over I seem to put the bowls back on.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I've been enjoying my SR225's since Monday and have been swapping back and forth between flats and bowls. I like both, and I'm leaning a little more towards the flats right now, but I think they may be better suited to a brighter phone such as the 325, to get the perfect balance between the bass of the flats and the brighter nature of the 325's themselves.

So which do you prefer on your 225's (or 325's for that matter) - bowls or flats? I'm thinking of putting my bowl pads under some heavy books for a night to get me sort of in-between the typical bowl sound and the flat sound. Anyone tried this?

imo, the 225s sound better with bowls - but everything else sounds better with flats.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back