SR225i First Impressions
Mar 13, 2009 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AzN1337c0d3r

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry guys, I don't have any other Grados here to compare them to. These are my first Grado cans.

I do own several other cans near this tier level though: HD650, D2000, SE530. The HD650 is driven by the LDMk3. I feel that the D2000 and SE530 do not improve (besides adding a tube sound) with the amp. So this first impression is based in comparison to these other cans. I've scored all of the headphones on a rough out of 10 scale, but I am not reviewing the other phones.

Where do I begin? Comfort is probably the most important issue to me, so I'm going to start here.

I recieved these cans Tuesday evening and have been wearing them about 3-4 hours each day.

On the first day I wore these I had a wicked headache from these cans clamping my head. I had never experienced something like this before, even with my unstretched HD650s when they were brand new. Furthermore the pads (bowls I believe they call it) are fairly uncomfortable. They almost feel like 600 grit sandpaper. The only other headphones I've owned which are more uncomfortable than these are the iBuds.

The slight headache feeling is still here 3 days later but slightly lessened, and the pads are not so hard anymore, although still sorta rough on my skin. Barely tolerable now. We'll see if additional wearing in will make them better.

HD650: 10/10 (Perfect)
SE530: 9/10 (Canals get irritated if I try to wear these for a long time)
D2000: 9/10 (Ears get hot after long session)
SR225i: 6/10

Bass:

The very lowest octave is missing compared to the HD650, which means it's missing another .5 octave compared to the D2000/SE530.

Texturally though, whatever it does manage to put out is quite accurate and neutral, although it doesn't have that same feeling of decay that the HD650 and SE530 do.

HD650: 9.5/10 (Missing that last .5 octave, maybe I need a more powerful amp)
SE530: 9.5/10 (If only I could get these but with an impact available in full-sized phones)
D2000: 9/10. (Little overdone in mid-upper bass)
SR225i: 8.5/10.

Mids:

SR225i, HD650, and SE530 are all equally good here. I feel that the SE530 is the most timbrally accurate on average, but the HD650 does especially well with female vocals (at least in the trance/pop/rock I listen to), and the SR225i excels with guitars (both acoustic and electric). Strangely enough, I prefer string quartets and violin solos on the SR225i over the HD650. But the HD650 is still king when it comes to orchestral classical. D2000 has really recessed midrange that is not good on anything but punk and rap imo.

9.5/10 SR225i
9.5/10 HD650
9.5/10 SE530
8/10 D2000

Highs:

These surprised me, after dealing with the Denon's grating highs I thought that I would hate these headphones after reading thread after thread about Grado's highs. Nope, I love these. The only explanation I can offer to these is that the Denons may have a treble spike somewhere that is not well suited to my ear's geometry.

Now it has become apparent to me why people claim the Senns have a "veil". It does sorta sound like with Grados you are next to the band/singers whereas with the HD650 you're out with the audience. But the HD650 is by no means missing detail. Sometimes I just prefer to be out there chilling out in the back instead of rocking out up front.
tongue_smile.gif

SR225i: 9.5/10
HD650: 9.5/10
SE530: 9/10
D2000: 7/10 (Grating highs to my ears)

Will I be keeping these? If they become comfortable enough to wear for 4 hours a day without causing a headache.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 13
Did you bend the headband for a better fit? That is the most important thing to do with new grados.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Congrats! These were my first Grado to, loved them from the first moment and never experienced fit/comfort issue, however they were used. You may want to wash the pads using soft soap, will help quite a bit.
Are they new? They may need some burn in time, like 100 hours or so, just give them the time...

Enjoy!

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 13
I can wear my vintage sr225 for 3-4 hours. You just need to use them quite a lot, and they will eventually change shape to your head's

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 13
About the bowl pads, take them off and hand-wash them a couple of times with some shampoo, then with some hair conditioner (not hand lotion). That will definitely soften them up -- and take away that caustic factory smell!!

If you decide you don't like those SR225i, just send them to me and I'll baby-sit them for you!!
beyersmile.png

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll definitely be gently stretching the headband around a pillow and washing the pads tonight! =D

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Don't be gentle. It is made to be bent to the shape of your head.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll definitely be gently stretching the headband around a pillow and washing the pads tonight! =D

You dont need a pillow. Its a steel band that is MEANT TO BE BENT. (check the papers that came with your headphone) So just grab the headband from both ends, and bend it looser. If it gets too loose, bend it back tighter. Thats all, no need to be too gentle.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By 'caustic factory smell', I'm sure you meant 'that lovely new Grados smell', kmhaynes
wink.gif

But of course! Actually, if the bowls had been soft enough, the smell wouldn't have bothered me at all -- but after washing them with shampoo and condition, they now smell like a sweet spring day!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back