SR225 vs SR325 vs SR325i ... and the winner is ...
Apr 26, 2005 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I own a bunch of Grados - SR80s, 225s, 325s (black) - and I've spent a lot of time with the RS-1s and owned the HP-2 for a while. I've always felt that the 225s were the best headphones Grado produced - they have a warm, liquid, engaging sound. They lose in the bass department to the 325s, but the 325s have a hard, metallic edge; while the RS-1s have a woody colouration that makes them unlistenable for me. The HP-2s were great, with a far more accurate, neutral sound, and yet I always felt they were strangely unmusical, and generally preferred the 225s.

I was excited when I heard about the 325i, which I thought might address some of the shortcomings of the original 325s, which I think have the capacity to be Grado's best headphones with a bit of tweaking. An improved driver without the colouration of the RS-1s might finally achieve the potential of these headphones.

I have spent a few weeks now running in the 325is. Initial impressions were positive - not as dark as the black 325s (which are probably 5 or 6 years old), but a more prominent midrange, more detail, and clearer highs. The results were similar against the 225s.

However, now that I have spent a lot more time listening to the 325i I feel they are a bit of a disappointment. There is a little more detail, but overall they just introduce a lighter, slightly brighter sound. There is also a new colouration that I haven't heard in previous Grados, even the black 325s, which I assume derives from the shape or materials used in the earpieces. Music takes on a slight golden sheen at all frequencies. Some people might like this colouration along with the additional detail. Personally, I find I preferred the old 325s, and the 225s even more.

My conclusion is therefore that, for me, the 225s remain at the top of the Grado range of headphones, regardless of price. They have some shortcomings compared to the more expensive headphones, but their engaging musicality to me capture what Grados are all about, and I find that the aluminium or wooden earpieces of more expensive models produce unaccaptable trade-offs.

I should that I tried all the combinations of bowl and flat pads I have, settling on flats for the 325 and 325i, and bowls for the 225s (taped around the outside edge, which increases bass and deepens the sound, producing the best compromise, in my opinion, for the 225s and SR80s).

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 65
Quote:

Have you ever tried the Alessandro MS-1 or MS-2?

No. One day I might have to try some Alessandros.

Quote:

Is this post a joke? :)

I'll choose to ignore that comment. Obviously, I also noted that the "colourations" I mentioned reflect the colour/materials of the earpieces. In the case of the RS-1s, this colouration has been noted by many people. In the case of the 325s and 325is, perhaps it's just coincidental or perhaps it's by design. If you disagree with my conclusions based on your own experience, feel free to express your own view.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 65
I'll choose to ignore that comment...by answering it? It was a good point though, glad you addressed it.

I agree with the RS-1 comment Ross, I found the wood added an odd coloration to the music.

Apr 27, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 65
I agree that the 325i is too bright and metallic sounding, but how can you find the rs-1's unlistenable?! I never heard any woody colourations, the wood is chosen and produced to be non-resonant anyway. The rs-1's have a slightly muddy lower midrange/rolled off high treble, but they are far from unlistenable IMO. Based on your experiences I think I should sell my 325i's and get the 225's. Ironically I very nearly bought the 225's ages ago, before I'd even bought the rs-1's, which I sold recently.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 65
Ross
HI: I agree totally with your assessment. I have owned the 60,80,225,325,325i.RS-1 and Alessandro MS-1. And I like the 225 the best regardless of price. Now I can understand the owners of the new 325i and RS-1 members not to understand this and OK thats what you like.

I have also found that the 225 with the new Beta C-Pads are one great headphone with better bass and tamed highs and better sound stage over any other pad with great comfort to boot.

Its a sober thing to realize how good the 225 really are compared to all the other grados. Now this is just my opinion and if anyone feels different thats OK. You are right about your opinion.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 65
hmmmmm this thread once again ignites my desire to pickup a pair of sr225s. never got around to it before, i was just too satisfied with my system. damn my curiosity! sighhhhhhhh
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 65
In my experience, the MS-2i are less colored than the SR225 and provide a less fatiguing experience. They also provide deeper bass and a larger soundstage.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the SR225 to the MS-2i, but that's just my opinion.

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
In my experience, the MS-2i are less colored than the SR225 and provide a less fatiguing experience. They also provide deeper bass and a larger soundstage.

I don't know how anyone could prefer the SR225 to the MS-2i, but that's just my opinion.

For some reason I still prefer the 225's over the MS2's and MS2i's. Technically the 225's are beat but I just prefer them. Just one of those things I guess.

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 65
HI: I know the 225 are not the best sounding grado but I do feel that the 225 are the best fun sounding grado. The better grados are too detailed and some are lots heaver and I like the fun sound like the portapro but the 225 are fun like that but way better in sound quality. I just gotta have fun when I listen to my music. Boys just wana have fun. LOL.

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
For some reason I still prefer the 225's over the MS2's and MS2i's. Technically the 225's are beat but I just prefer them. Just one of those things I guess.

Good to hear you're still enjoying them!
biggrin.gif
I liked them too
tongue.gif

I actually agree here, I have heard some of the other grados but for some reason I never got past the 225s - I was PERFECTLY happy with them until my ears started to kill me with consistent use.. too much of a good thing is a bad thing
biggrin.gif

I don't know if it is very fair to judge that they are better than the RS-1s, but I do think that they are almost a completely different headphone altogether - just very different sounds.

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Good to hear you're still enjoying them!
biggrin.gif
I liked them too
tongue.gif

I actually agree here, I have heard some of the other grados but for some reason I never got past the 225s - I was PERFECTLY happy with them until my ears started to kill me with consistent use.. too much of a good thing is a bad thing
biggrin.gif

I don't know if it is very fair to judge that they are better than the RS-1s, but I do think that they are almost a completely different headphone altogether - just very different sounds.

There are quite a few headphones which are technically better in everyway than my 225's but I just like them. I was using the PS-1's with my ipod mini but replaced them with the225's instead. It's fun not as bright as the 80's,125's,325 or 325i. But more fun than the ms-1, ms2's or ms2i's, ms-pro's, hp-series. The only headphone I use more is the Rs-1's and PS-1's. In that respect it is one of my top five personal fave grado's.

1.RS-1
2. HP-2
3. Ps-1's
4. 225's
5. 325i's

strange eh?

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
you should really try the rs-2's...

really

Sorry Billy no can do. Imposed a no more headphones ban on myself. I think my AT W100 would be similar to the Rs-2 though. Not as much bass impact, midrange extension etc. as the rs-1's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back