SR225 + PA2V2 really the best way to go?
Aug 12, 2006 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

dkjohnso

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be ordering some SR225's on Monday, soon to be followed by a new portable amp. I've been reading these boards a while, and the consensus seems to be that the SR225/PA2V2 combo is great. However, I'm wondering if the PA2V2 will be able to keep up in the future when I upgrade. I've also been looking at the LDM+, the Go Vibe 5, and the Xenos OHA-RHP. Are any of these as good as the PA2V2 when paired with the SR225? Thanks in advance.

Aug 12, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 15
I suggest that you try the 0HA-REP, which has to be much, muuuch better than the PA2V2... And it has a slightly laid back sound signature that must be fine with Grados.

Aug 12, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Go to the used forums and find yourself a Pint. I think you'll be very happy. Happier than with a PA2v2

Aug 12, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 15
If he wants a PINT like amp, I think he may as well go with a shiny new Go-Vibe 5.

But I wouldn't discount the Xenos at all. And it must pair very well with Grados, probably better than a LM6172 equipped amp like the Go-Vibe (or the PINT), according to my experience & my understanding of how Grados should sound like
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 15
I had a PA2V2 and it was a great match with my then Grado SR-125. I should be getting a Go-Vibe 5 by the middle of next week and will see how it sounds with my RS-1.

But at $60 including S&H the PA2V2 is hard to beat with Grado's.

Aug 12, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 15
IMHO no.
The PA2V2 is a 1-trick pony IMHO. Its warm, bassy with decently forward mids. Gentle treble IMHO. Its a very groovy amp, but IMHO falls short of the govibes, which can be OP amp rolled, and powered with anything from 18-9 volts.
So.... my preference is for amps with socketed OP amps.
Garrett

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 15
I have serious doubts about the PA2v2 being ideal in this application. I'm going to break from folks here and suggest a used Supermini III w/ AD8656 for real portable use. The Go-Vibe could work as well, though, in which case I'd maybe try the AD826 if the bias currents are paralleled well in that amp. It has rather high Ib, but it is worth it if you can get it working IMHO. Although with low impedance headphones it may need dc blocking caps, in which case it's not particularly worth it in my experience. What I ended up doing is choosing resistor values which put offset <10mV for the volume range I often use. AD826 actually seems to work well in the Supermini III I tried as well. AD8656 has much higher output power, though, at 200mA continuous @ 5V.

The Xenos looks like it may work okay as well, though I don't share Andrea's enthusiasm. OPA2134 and LMH6643 are OK chips but that wouldn't really be my preference for Grados I guess. Andrea, seriously, are you paid by Xenos or what? :p

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 15
The new Go-Vibe 5 does not have a socketed amp.

v5_inside.jpg

Also if you notice the amp the OP lists they are all on the low price so suggesting an amp that sells for twice is not in line. I still say that for Grado the PA2V2 is a great match.

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 15
I cannot know if it is the best way to go, BUT, 5 weeks a go I went on a week end in the country side with My ipod + pocketdock + PA2V2 + SR225 and I really had a blast with it, listening to music during that week end.
I cannot compare with the other mentioned as I have not heard them. Recently I thought I might be selling it because I was not really using it, but that week end proved me wrong.
There is not that many other alternatives in that price range.
Is there better ? Yes. Would a more expensive amp be better ? Probably.
Am I happy with it ? Definitly.
Hope this helps !
Lionel

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
The Xenos looks like it may work okay as well, though I don't share Andrea's enthusiasm. OPA2134 and LMH6643 are OK chips but that wouldn't really be my preference for Grados I guess. Andrea, seriously, are you paid by Xenos or what? :p

Let's not get hyper technically optimist please
smily_headphones1.gif

I trust my ears more than a datasheet specifying the performance of an op-amp only at MHz frequencies
tongue.gif

And the OPA2134 is more than OK, if you like a MUSICAL sound ahead of certain other (supposed) virtues much craved by those pseudo designers who seek the highest speed video op-amps around just to cage them in the 20 KHz wide audio spectrum
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
I have this combo and its work very good. For the money and service that you will get from Gary, no doubt is THE BEST.

Cheers.
wink.gif

Don't look at me. I didn't doubt. I'm innocent.
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 15
Not to mention how good the power supply stage of the 0HA-REP is, with a high current op-amp for rail splitter, and with reservoir caps and bypass caps used wherever useful, avoiding certain Zen wannabe minimalist excesses
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw Fliburt, seriously, I get only paid in broad-mindedness.

Lastly, I personally wouldnt want to buy anything used. I rather buy what I can afford - but I want it new. Call me a romantic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fliburt
...but that wouldn't really be my preference for Grados I guess.

Why, if you don't mind... Have you heard the amp? Have you heard the chips? What?
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 15
And Fliburt, what would be your suggestion as to an amp in this price range that pairs very well with Grados? The Go-Vibe with the "light and airy" sound of the LM6172? Or the PA2V2 with its (relative) coarseness? I must have got it wrong as to what Grados sound like
wink.gif

End of the rant
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back