sr225 or k601?
Nov 3, 2006 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nothing101

500+ Head-Fier
I am having a hard time deciding on what is a better choice for me. I keep on thinking that one is a better idea than the other and soon changing my mind afterwards. I clearly need more direction.

I listen to a wide variety of music. From classical to metal to acoustic guitar to blues and more. Im not as concerned about the way my classical music sounds compared to the other stuff but i think i would like a headphone that will do everything justice.

In terms of sound signature i think i like a sound that has fast crisp treble that is not as fatiguing as the sr125. I value a balanced sound highly but i also dont like the idea of losing anything at the extremes. i dont want that treble roll off that i get on the my er6i. even the px100 has more upper treble! Detail is another thing that is highly important. bass is not all that important but i find etys to be slightly anemic at times. Soundstage would be nice but it is probably at the bottom of my list.

I found the senn 600 on ebay for less than both of these but i dont think it is a good idea as i find senns are not exiting enough and i was not all that impressed with how the 580s sounded. The highs were too recessed.

I would also mention that i very much liked the akg501 that i listened to. the only thing that was really wrong with it was bass. Does the 601 sound the same as the 501 with bass as the exception?

Yea this is quite a hard decision but i think either the 225 or the 601 would do fine although im struggling to see which is better for me.

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 8
The SR225 is more punchy than the 125 but on a whole, it will still remind you of the SR125 with its rather etchy sounding treble. To me, it's still mostly a one trick wonder, more compressed soundstage with overly fast bass, and still too bright highs.

I think you'd be best off with the K601, it has quite a lot going for it in terms of balance, liveliness, and ability to handle many genres of music. For the under $250 range, I think there aren't any headphones that will beat the 601 for versatility. To say it's a 501 with bass would be an oversimplification, but the 601 does justice to the reputation of famous AKG mids while presenting a more balanced low end.

The only knock against the 601 is that it is rather hard to drive in comparison to the Grados

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 8
well in terms of amps the little dot2+ came in the mail 2 days ago
biggrin.gif
!!!!!!!!

For anyone who has heard both. which one has more upper treble, the 601 or er6i. i really find the er6i dissapointing in terms of sparkle and that is one of the things that i was aiming to improve. are the highs on the 601 as extended as on the 501? Main reason why i was considering the 225.

OMG i luv how quickly ppl reply to threads on this website!!!! it took about 2 minutes!

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 8
well my dad just ordered the 501 for me so i dont think this matters anymore. im still satisfied though cause ive heard the 501s on many occasions and they are nothing short of brilliant.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Nice choice. You will be disappointed IMO with rock and metal, it just doesn't sound natural. But blues, jazz, classical and classic rock will be excellent. Also give them at least 50 hours burn in to really open them up. Not sure how the LD2 will match with the 501's, but your ears will tell you.

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 8
I just got some SR225s and I'm enjoying them. A different and somewhat similar experience as my DT770s. Definitely a lack of bass but its still good. I'm enjoying the more in your face sound and I love treble as well so its all good.

Nov 4, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 8
i think the ldII+ and k501 is a good combo seeing that the 501 lacks bass and the ld is a tube amp. ive heard that its not that different from ss though. oh well
rolleyes.gif

i think that the 501s do sound more than a bit lacking for metal but i also think that their crisp treble really helps bring a balanced, clean punch out of snaredrums. That gives the sound a bit more life. Only instrument that really misses out is the bassdrum. I think the 501 goes low enough for the bass guitar though.

i think the 501 is only ever going to sound good if you dont value bass over the rest of the frequencies. I do think that the treble on the 501 is SO good that it makes the rest of it sound unnatural in comparison. (just my impression while i compared it to stax) i did an a/b comparison with and dared mp5 the stax 2020 and i think the 501 is worse in every way except mid treble.

still its a damn good bargain.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back