SR225 or AH-D1001K????
Apr 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
My plan was to sell my SR80 (did that!) and upgrade to the SR225 for a good price I can get. But several things have come up that I don't know if I can swing the extra $$ for the SR225 -- bummer.

So I've been looking at the Denons D1001, and it seems to get good reviews here. What I'd love to have is someone tell me, "If you get the D1001 instead of the SR225, you'll miss ...." or "won't get...", etc. (Or maybe tell me the D1001 is way better in this or that way ...)

I did not start out loving my SR80, but after it burned in (and my brain adjusted), I really came to love them. So I pretty much know what I'd be getting with the SR225 -- the D1001 is an unknown to me.

What I DON'T want is a laid-back Sennheiser-ish sound. So is the D1001 "active" and "energetic" like the Grados, or is it too laid back???

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 5
The SR225 will have more bass than the SR80 and more detail. If you are planning to keep the Sr-80's and just get another headphone...why not get D2000's on the FS forums?

You will have a good sounding closed can.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 5
I had the Denon 1001s and currently have the 225s. While I had the Denons I also had SR60s and AT ES7s. I didn't keep the 1001s long. The comfort was no big deal compared to my adjusted SR60s. They didn't leak much sound out, unlike the SRs, but they did leak in. I didn't like the sound of the Denons much, compared to either of my other two phones. They weren't as much fun as the Grados and they didn't have the articulation and control of the ES7s. If you liked the SR80s, you might like the ES7s, but they aren't as comfortable and they aren't any more closed than the Denons.

Keep in mind that this will all change depending on the type of music you listen to. I listen mostly to the blues, often with a guitar emphasis.

The SR225s have much better definition than the 60/80s and better bass. It's the former that I'm most pleased with.

It's hard to really recommend something. Listen to as many headphones as you can. Pay attention to, but filter, what people here say. Don't be afraid to buy new or used. If you don't like what you buy you can probably sell any mainstream headphone here with little loss. I bought and sold the 1001s, DT770s, Senn 580s, and AT AD900s. I kept the SR60s, 225s, and ES7s, and I'm quite happy.

Mooch

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 5
D1001's are very energetic and quite bassy, however, they are not detailed. soundstage is virtually non-existent. There are times when I prefer them to Grados, but its mostly out of practical concerns (need a touch of isolation, shorter chord, etc). Not sound concerns.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D1001's are very energetic and quite bassy, however, they are not detailed. soundstage is virtually non-existent

I find their soundstage pretty impressive for a closed can, actually.
Another plus factor I want to throw out there would be the comfort. For most people, D1001 will probably be much more comfortable than most Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back