SR225 initial impressions and comparison with ATH-A900
Dec 9, 2004 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

crazyfrenchman27

Headphoneus Supremus
Much to my delight, my SR225s arrived in the mail yesterday. I've burned them in for about 12 hours. As of late, I've been seeking a potential replacement for my ATH-A900s for rock, which I found to be too slow for some of the types of music I listen to.

I apologize for the premature nature of my review (with only twelve hours of burn-in).

I've been using AV710->cmoy OPA2227->SR225 w/bowls

Right out of the box, I found them exceedingly congested, colored, and sibilant with the higher frequencies. The highs are far too grainy and unrefined for my tastes. Twelve hours have improved these annoying characteristics somewhat, but I still dramatically prefer my ATH-A900s/KSC75s.

One thing I adore about these headphones is the *SNAPPY* bass. Although it doesn't extend as deep as the ATH-A900s, the faster transient time and increased detail delivers a neat effect with drums. However, I do NOT like the decay rate on cymbals; it is far too short.

I've also noticed how the SR225s are more sensitive to the source than the ATH-A900s. I notice a BIG difference between the AV710 and ipod line-out.

I fully intend to keep you updated on these cans...I hope they turn around with more burn-in or else I will be forced to return them. Right now I prefer my ATH-A900s/KSC75s...
frown.gif

Do you think flat pads would help with mitigate some of the annoying sonic characteristics I described?

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandrey
Do you think your cmoy is good for Grados?

As in, does it improve the sound of the Grado, or is it good relative to other amps?

Of course it's not good relative to other amps, but it most CERTAINLY improves the sound, with less tizzy highs and more dynamic bass. It's not like it's unbuffered, either...

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 57
Thanks, I'll be "staying tuned" to your review as I have a relatively new pair of ATH-A900s and listen mainly to hard rock. However, I don't think my sonic tastes are as discriminating as yours as I am enjoying my A-900s mucho with my home hi-fi system and iPod. My A-900 comparison is to the Sennheiser's HD-25 and Shure e3. The HD-25s sound a little more "forward" than the A-900s with my music, but not as detailed in many respects, so they don't win out, and the Shure's lack the bass and are not quite as detailed IMO. However, all of my headphones are closed as that is the #1 requirement, and each of these mate well enough with my music and serve their idiosyncratic purposes (commuting, gym, home) to more than meet my sonic needs.

It seems pretty consensual here that the 225s from Grado are the best rock headphone, and I hope over time you feel they are the right one's for you when you listen to rock music. Since you and I both have the A-900s, your comparison is of keen interest to me. I may splurge one day and get the 225s to do my own sampling, but I have few occasions where an open headphone piss off the mrs. Still, the curiosity thing, and the knowledge that I listen to hard rock 90% of the time, and that most say it'll sound the best with Grado 225s, will be "a crusade on my brain" forwithhenceforth.

thx, - walkman666

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 57
walkman666-
I just bought the SR60's and put some bowl pads on them, and actually they were very close to the SR225 in terms of tone and enjoyability (and this was with the comfys and the bowl pads). For me, it was about $120 cheaper to go with the SR60 + bowl pad combination. Frees my money up for another pair of closed cans to replace my DT770/80's.

crazyfrenchman27-
Interesting findings so far with the 225's versus the A900's. I'm looking at the A500/700/900 family for a closed replacement for my DT770's, and they sound like they would compare quite favorably to the Grados (at least the 225's). Had you gotten a chance to hear the A500's or A700's? I'm leaning towards those, as I only have about $150 tops to spend on a pair of closed cans...

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 57
I am considering the MS-1 now, I'll be amping it with a cMoy. So I am looking forward to your update on how it sounds.

One question about your cMoy. How is the OPA2227? I am using the OPA2132 which is having a hard time running mye 32ohm DT231's. I added 68ohm resistors to the output (R5), which helped a bit, are you using R5 resistors?

Aside from the impedance problem, I am very sattisfied with the amp, it even makes quite a difference on my MX500's.

Thanks
Knut

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Do you think flat pads would help with mitigate some of the annoying sonic characteristics I described?

They'll definitely tame the highs. IMO flats are a must with grados.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
They'll definitely tame the highs. IMO flats are a must with grados.

So does that mean we should "Rush" out and get them? I can see the vapor trails now....
biggrin.gif
LOL (sorry, long week and I'm feeling punchy already).

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 57
Thanks apar111, SR60 with bowls as a much less expensive option. Good to know. I am assuming you have had or have SR225's from which to directly compare?

I am also keen on comfort, and have read that the Grados are not the most comfy headphone. You used the bowl pads. Are they comfy? Grados are also made in Brooklyn, I believe, and I should support my local manufacturers, no? Aaar.

thx, walkman666

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

As in, does it improve the sound of the Grado, or is it good relative to other amps?

Of course it's not good relative to other amps, but it most CERTAINLY improves the sound, with less tizzy highs and more dynamic bass. It's not like it's unbuffered, either...

No, I mean, is it good in driving low-impedance cans?

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Thanks apar111, SR60 with bowls as a much less expensive option. Good to know. I am assuming you have had or have SR225's from which to directly compare?

I am also keen on comfort, and have read that the Grados are not the most comfy headphone. You used the bowl pads. Are they comfy? Grados are also made in Brooklyn, I believe, and I should support my local manufacturers, no? Aaar.

thx, walkman666

I don't know why people say the bowls are so uncomfortable-- I guess I'm just lucky and they fit me fine. I tried out the 60's, 80's, 225's and 325's yesterday at Progressive Audio and it ended up down to the 60's and the 225's (325's too pricey, 80's just sounded like ass comparitively). And overall, I just preferred the 60's-- a little warmer sounding, and the bowls brighten them back up a bit, closer to the 225's for a much lower price tag.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandrey
No, I mean, is it good in driving low-impedance cans?

Not especially...I mean, a Gilmore Lite or RA-1 would be better.

Do I think it's better than a cmoy that relies upon a resistance-based voltage divider? YES!

I don't think the SR225s are going to become a completely different beast with a Gilmore.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I don't know why people say the bowls are so uncomfortable-- I guess I'm just lucky and they fit me fine. I tried out the 60's, 80's, 225's and 325's yesterday at Progressive Audio and it ended up down to the 60's and the 225's (325's too pricey, 80's just sounded like ass comparitively). And overall, I just preferred the 60's-- a little warmer sounding, and the bowls brighten them back up a bit, closer to the 225's for a much lower price tag.

From what I remember, my major qualm with the SR60s was what I perceived as a bass deficiency.

I have not had that problem with the SR225.

Otherwise, they are very similar in many respects, especially if they both have bowls.

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
So does that mean we should "Rush" out and get them? I can see the vapor trails now....
biggrin.gif
LOL (sorry, long week and I'm feeling punchy already).

YES! Hop in your red Barchetta and pick some up...
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Not especially...I mean, a Gilmore Lite or RA-1 would be better.

Do I think it's better than a cmoy that relies upon a resistance-based voltage divider? YES!

I don't think the SR225s are going to become a completely different beast with a Gilmore.

Thanks,
And how much your cmoy did cost for you? Approximately...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back