SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Aug 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #181 of 594
Because a SS amp will not explode or melt if you stack something on top w/ a 1/2 inch of clearance.  It may however, collapse apparently.

It might be 2 pounds.  

Feels like it.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #182 of 594
I at least feel we're somewhat on the same page now. It's 14 pounds, but the LF is 8. :D

I dun no. I see where you're coming from though. Again, people are going to think what they think. Still doesn't change how it sounds. 
wink.gif
 That is to say...very good.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #183 of 594
Quote:

Edit - I've been told that even though the unit I've discussed is a production spec, it is unit #0 so may not be as refined ins some areas as further production units.  Just to get that out there.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #185 of 594
Although I think the BHSE is a beautiful looking amp it's not perfect, IMO for it to have been perfect it's PSU needed to have been the exact same size as the amp section like the Aristaeus and GS-X. But I'm just nitpicking again.

P.S. I've written this because I may seem to be going over the top with the BHSE's looks.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #186 of 594
Why the argument dudes... Since I prefer the versatility of tubes, for me, it will be BHSE for the 009 and LF for the LCD3. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Can't complain. 
o2smile.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #187 of 594
Okay, so I guess the consensus is that the WES gets no love...

I do prefer it aesthetically to the other two.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #188 of 594
Quote:
Audio reviews seem like creative writing contests to me, but my ears will do my own reviewing at the LA show next weekend.

i agree with this. honestly it's always the same thing repeated with different words and colorful language. it gets dull and doesn't really bring anything new to the table. how many times have we heard the sole "downside" to these amps as "revealing the imperfections of poor recordings". As if that's not alluding to the certainly mentioned pro about how revealing the amp is, not to mention that the fault is really with the recording and not a con of the amp per se. while i do read those reviews, live listening sessions are way more useful than rehashed flowery descriptions.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #189 of 594
Allow me to put in my 2c into this debate also.

Sonically I find the LL with the SR-009's to be very, very good. Better than the LCD-3/Woo WA5 combo, both running off of the same source (LL/009 balanced, LCD/WA5 Single ended). Soundstage is wider and deeper, much better highs, slightly more revealing in the details. Base does not hit quite as hard as the LCD's but it is very close and the bass seems "less muddy" than the LCD-3 combo. The LCD/WA5 system is close to being maxed out with some of the best tubes (no WE300b's, can't see spending that kind of coin on tubes) and cables. The LL/009 more than matches that system.

Thus, while I have not actually heard the BHSE, KGSS, WES, T2 etc with the SR-009's, I am quite sure the LL is in their league from a sonic perspective. Anyone who purchases the LL to drive the 009's I am quite sure will not be complaining about what comes out of the headphones!

On the aesthetic side, I do find it a little underwhelming. Not saying it is ugly or built poorly. Just could be a little better built given the company it is competing with. Just because it is SS does not mean it could not have been made aesthetically more pleasing, case in point would be the Darkstar by RSA which I find to be quite appealing visually. But increasing the quality of the build would probably have increased the cost of the unit, and thus made it less accessible to anyone considering getting into the Stat world. So it is nice to have a lower cost option out there that still has excellent sonic performance.

I am partial to tubes and tube rolling though, and am contemplating placing a deposit for a BHSE. Enjoy my LL while I wait for the BHSE to arrive and then do a personal comparison between the two in my system and make my final choice after that. I would probably put my WA5/LCD-3 system up for sale if I decided to do that, and am not sure I want to do that at this time. I will give this a few weeks to make any further decisions.

At this level of performance, it comes down to a lot of personal preferences and there really is no wrong choices. Anyone lucky enough to be contemplating any of these options should really be counting their blessings.

Peace.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #190 of 594
Athenasword will be getting the LL, and my BHSE will arrive hopefully this month. We will then do a comparison - stay tuned. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #192 of 594
Quote:

I am partial to tubes and tube rolling though, and am contemplating placing a deposit for a BHSE. Enjoy my LL while I wait for the BHSE to arrive and then do a personal comparison between the two in my system and make my final choice after that.

SQ wise the LL is on par with the BHSE, but when you're ready to do this comparison, first try them both when you've just put the power on, then leave the power on them both for about two to three hours and have another listen. Along with SQ, if you're also after build quality, well IMO there's only one choice. Looks are down to the individual. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #193 of 594
SQ wise the LL is on par with the BHSE, but when you're ready to do this comparison, first try them both when you've just put the power on, then leave the power on them both for about two to three hours and have another listen. Along with SQ, if you're also after build quality, well IMO there's only one choice. Looks are down to the individual. 

Pretty much agree here. Remember that one of the things the AV Guide review got right though is the LL from a cold boot does it's best after about an hour warm up. Not sure about BHSE warm up time but tubes and all that.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #195 of 594
Quote:

I'm not surprised that all 3 amps got an enthusiastic review in their own way. But I didn't expect the the LL to win in the "straight wire with gain" stakes. According to most headfier posts, that's meant to be the BHSE's strength - the very purpose of it's design. These continued topsy turvy findings, compared to perceived headfi wisdom, made me think... of what I'm not sure exactly, just made me think.

I hadn't realised that the LL has a Standby switch. This, I've suggested before, is a feature that the BHSE could really do with (not sure if the WES has one or not).

Both the LL and BHSE should be at next month's UK meet. I'm looking forward to doing my own comparison.

Is the UK 'meet' at Whittlebury? I know Cavelli is there but did not see Blue Hawaii on the exhibitor list.

David ('David1961') and I own 009s (and I have 007s too) - him with Blue Hawaii me with Cavelli.

Our listening comparison wasn't scientific (one amp through a mains conditioner, the other not; one connected XLR, the other RCA) but we found no difference in sound quality - both were great.

On aesthetics it is down to personal opinion - David likes the Blue Hawaii looks and the valves whereas I prefer the simplicity of the Cavelli and I wouldn't want a valve component.

On build quality we had no grounds for any discrimination - we didn't unscrew the boxes anyway! From the outside both are really well built, with no rattles and no noise.

Build quality and aesthetics are different things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back