SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Apr 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #571 of 594
Hi David,

If I read it right, you've placed an order for the BHSE, if so congratulations.
As you know, when you heard my 009 / BHSE you weren't that impressed, and I have to say I was never totally happy with mine while using the stock Mullard's and SED's, ( the SED's were used when you heard my 009 / BHSE ) but the PH tubes have changed that.
I'm sure you won't mind me saying this, but if I recall right you prefer to listen at low volume ( well a lot lower than me ), listening at low volume is safe for the hearing, but I believe a certain volume needs to be reached to get all the detail.
Sometime this month a head-fier is visiting my place to listen to my 009 / BHSE and he's bringing his 007's, I've heard the 007's with my BHSE but not while using the PH tubes, so it'll be interesting to hear the 007's while using the PH's, I'll also be able to hear the difference between the 007's and 009's.
When you have the BHSE and if you decide it's not the amp for you, I'm sure you won't lose that much in selling it, if at all you lose anything.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #573 of 594
Hi David,

If I read it right, you've placed an order for the BHSE, if so congratulations.
As you know, when you heard my 009 / BHSE you weren't that impressed, and I have to say I was never totally happy with mine while using the stock Mullard's and SED's, ( the SED's were used when you heard my 009 / BHSE ) but the PH tubes have changed that.
I'm sure you won't mind me saying this, but if I recall right you prefer to listen at low volume ( well a lot lower than me ), listening at low volume is safe for the hearing, but I believe a certain volume needs to be reached to get all the detail.
Sometime this month a head-fier is visiting my place to listen to my 009 / BHSE and he's bringing his 007's, I've heard the 007's with my BHSE but not while using the PH tubes, so it'll be interesting to hear the 007's while using the PH's, I'll also be able to hear the difference between the 007's and 009's.
When you have the BHSE and if you decide it's not the amp for you, I'm sure you won't lose that much in selling it, if at all you lose anything.

Hi Dave
I didn't (for good reason)put names to comments but you have put your hand up.I note you've posted that the change of tubes has given you what you're looking for.I think I read somewhere that you also tweaked your K-01,something about the settings weren't right?So,I'm pleased for you.
Yes, I've hit the button and ordered but to be honest,I'm still not confident I've made the right decision.I keep reading the same thing about the PH tubes and I'm not convinced that this alone is going to achieve what I'm looking for..In fact,I've already started researching tubes and already put my money on a set(how silly is that?)of tubes that I can't remember anyone (here) mentioning.In fact a search only reveals threads at least 3-4 years old!
So, early days yet,hopefully somebody will say something that pushes me in the right direction with some confidence.
Interestingly,I'm currently having an exchange of PMs with a member who for the first time (that is the first time I've read on these pages) who's made a comment about his 'connection' with the music(which I can identify with).He doesn't have the BHSE and is selling the 009(but it has to be said he owns other electros!).
So,thanks and best regards
David
PS Before hitting the button to post this,it occurred to me that Richard(The Attorney) started this thread mentioning the WES /BHSE and LL
 so, what about the RS A10(and others).So I did a search of the A10,How odd it is that these threads never address the fact.Sooner or later the Stax Mafia' start throwing the mud without actually coming up with the thing that matters most(going back to the 'connection with the music' thing  as mentioned above)- Engineers make Amps,Artists make music?

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #574 of 594
You've provided no way for people to help you.  What other headphones have you heard that you like and what did you like about them?  What kind of sound signature do you typically lean towards?  Saying "I like to get into the music" means nothing as everybody likes to get into their music and there are thousands of different system configurations that have achieved that for all the members here. 

I personally find it very (VERY) rare that a headphone won't let me get into the music, certainly not one as accurate as the 009.  The only headphones that have done this usually have something very exaggerated in the sound signature that is distracting - like the XB500's overbearing bass.  If you can't find pleasure in a headphone that is pretty close to accurate then you're either not into headphones or not really that into music I think.

The engineer vs artist thing makes no sense.  Just because something measures well doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.  Excellent performance doesn't make something a lab tool. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #575 of 594
Hi Dave
I didn't (for good reason)put names to comments but you have put your hand up.I note you've posted that the change of tubes has given you what you're looking for.I think I read somewhere that you also tweaked your K-01,something about the settings weren't right?So,I'm pleased for you.
Yes, I've hit the button and ordered but to be honest,I'm still not confident I've made the right decision.I keep reading the same thing about the PH tubes and I'm not convinced that this alone is going to achieve what I'm looking for..In fact,I've already started researching tubes and already put my money on a set(how silly is that?)of tubes that I can't remember anyone (here) mentioning.In fact a search only reveals threads at least 3-4 years old!
So, early days yet,hopefully somebody will say something that pushes me in the right direction with some confidence.
Interestingly,I'm currently having an exchange of PMs with a member who for the first time (that is the first time I've read on these pages) who's made a comment about his 'connection' with the music(which I can identify with).He doesn't have the BHSE and is selling the 009(but it has to be said he owns other electros!).
So,thanks and best regards
David
PS Before hitting the button to post this,it occurred to me that Richard(The Attorney) started this thread mentioning the WES /BHSE and LL
 so, what about the RS A10(and others).So I did a search of the A10,How odd it is that these threads never address the fact.Sooner or later the Stax Mafia' start throwing the mud without actually coming up with the thing that matters most(going back to the 'connection with the music' thing  as mentioned above)- Engineers make Amps,Artists make music?

Hi David,

I do believe in some cases names need to be mentioned, so I'm not bothered if or when my name is posted.
The PH tubes have made me completely happy with my BHSE while using the 009's, and I've found a setting on my K-01 which has also made me happy.
As you've said before, the very best thing to do before getting anything is to audition, but in some cases it's not possible.
Anyway, as I said, when you've received the BHSE and decide it's not the amp for you, I've a strong feeling you'll sell it for whatever you've paid.

Cheers,

Dave.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #576 of 594
  You've provided no way for people to help you.  What other headphones have you heard that you like and what did you like about them?  What kind of sound signature do you typically lean towards?  Saying "I like to get into the music" means nothing as everybody likes to get into their music and there are thousands of different system configurations that have achieved that for all the members here. 

I personally find it very (VERY) rare that a headphone won't let me get into the music, certainly not one as accurate as the 009.  The only headphones that have done this usually have something very exaggerated in the sound signature that is distracting - like the XB500's overbearing bass.  If you can't find pleasure in a headphone that is pretty close to accurate then you're either not into headphones or not really that into music I think.

The engineer vs artist thing makes no sense.  Just because something measures well doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.  Excellent performance doesn't make something a lab tool. 

PMed

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #577 of 594

Almost every headphones let as get in to the music , I totally agree but some headphones do that better some worst.
As well some headphones ( very , very few) gives me so much emotions,I could feel same feelings what artist in my song.
Then if I back to rest of the headphones they play like with no emotions at all.

When I tasted bad wine I only knew that is bad wine after my first time with good wine.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #578 of 594

Almost every headphones let as get in to the music , I totally agree but some headphones do that better some worst.
As well some headphones ( very , very few) gives me so much emotions,I could feel same feelings what artist in my song.
Then if I back to rest of the headphones they play like with no emotions at all.

When I tasted bad wine I only knew that is bad wine after my first time with good wine.

Hi Przemyslaw
I'm enjoying our exchange of our PMs and I understand what you're saying.Some combos may reproduce the sound but do they reproduce the emotion.On the occasion I heard this combo ,they didn't.Too cold and clinical,no involvement with the music(sorry David) but then we've agreed, you've made changes.I'm still waiting for a reply from members who listen to classical music,when I say classical music, I'm more into the music of the post 'classical' period-the Romantic period through to the Modern era(for me more emotional).That's not to say I don't listen to other genres.There's good reason why the reproduction of 'classical' music is more demanding and critical?

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #579 of 594
David
I think If someone do not like or can't listen 009 there is no any amp which change that.
The most warmth I heard from 009 was 009+T2+DP900/DC901 but get T2 is almost impossible and afford for source like that is another thing.
That combo was warmer the my set for 009 but still colder, more sterile and less emotions then SR-Omega and Orpheus.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #580 of 594
I can't speak for the BHSE, as I don't own it, but I have the 009 for about an year and I'm extremely happy with it.
I listen only to classical music and prefer chamber and vocal to symhonic. I also try to go to a live concert once in a month: there are also some nice matinee here in Leeds at the college of music!
In the past I've owned a few STAX (202, 507, 007mk2) and some dynamic headphones, but once I heard STAX I've never looked back, I clearly preferred the 202 to any dynamic headphones I heard before.
I've never found the 009 to be bright or analytical, they are completely grain free and the top end is extended and smooth. The 007mk2 was rough in comparison, despite being generally warmer (ie: less neutral and with prominent mid bass). Possibly the problem was the amplifier I was using with them (the 600ltd) which wasn't designed to drive them.

I've used the same amplifier with the 507 and the 009 and I've always been happy with the sound. Bare in mind I don't care much for soundstage and spatial reconstruction, what I care is timbre accuracy, dynamics and instrumenta separation, being always able to distinguish the instruments even during louder moments or the attacks.

I now have a different amplifier, more expensive, but the 600ltd was absolutely fine. I agree the source is the key element with the 009...I wish I could afford Dave's K-01 :)

One of the good thing of the 009 is that they don't emphasize any spectrum frequency and the don't make bad recordings sound worst than they are. And they are great in give an inner sight of the artistic interpretation. I've discovered a lot of music I never managed to listen before with any other haedphone or speaker: never dreamt to listen to anything after Brahms for example, and now Shostakovich and Ravel are two of my favourite composers!

And no, I never got the same kind of engagement with any other headphone I've owned, and my listening habits have changed quite a bit. I used to spend more time 'hearing' music, hours and hours with the headphones on, without actaully listening to the music. Now I only listen to 1, 1.5 hour per day, something more during the weekend, but it is active listening, no ipad, no pc, no tv, just me and the music.

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #581 of 594
David
I think If someone do not like or can't listen 009 there is no any amp which change that.
The most warmth I heard from 009 was 009+T2+DP900/DC901 but get T2 is almost impossible and afford for source like that is another thing.
That combo was warmer the my set for 009 but still colder, more sterile and less emotions then SR-Omega and Orpheus.

Hi Przemyslaw
Yes, I understand that. So it appears I'm definitely not going to find anything I want with the 009s?
Thanks

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #582 of 594
If you want way more colour and warmth and way more emotions you need different headphones.

I tell you what, try 009 with Stax 007tII if that will be to cold it means 009 are not to you.May be BHSE is cold ( I don't know) and with 009 gives duble cold :).

Correct me guys , BHSE was oryginally designed for MK1 is it? They are vary warm and bit dark colour headphones , 009 are bit bright ,bit cold and neutral .

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #584 of 594
Yes , you are right.
So there is no neutral sound :).009 are bit cold for me and bit dright.SR-Omega is bit dark and bit warmth for me and that what I like the most.MK1 sometimes is to dark and to warm specially with classic rock music.
In my opinion SR-Omega is between 009 and MK1 + beautiful huge soundstage which is unreachable for 009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back