SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #496 of 594
I've been lurking on this thread as well as the 3 manufacturers' websites for a while, as I might get back into stats at some point.

Looking at cavalli's website this morning to read more on the LL2, I noticed that he's had it independently tested, and, from what I can see, there are some impressive figures.

http://www.cavalliaudio.com/index.php?p=product_details&pId=4

We have asked Avenson Audio to do THD+N measurements on the LL2. Here are the results.

Equipment: Prism DScope Series III.
Signal path:Balanced input #1 (going through the input switching network).
Input: 1kHz at -13.1dbV to generate 100VRMS peak (280Vpp) output voltage (the way Stax reports on their amps).
Load:100pf plus approximately 20pf || 200k from equipment (120pf total).

See table in lower left for math (measurements are RMS).

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #497 of 594
with 100 dB re 100 Vrms sensitivity spec for the Stax, the -100 dB line is at the limit of human hearing after minutes of accommodation in an anechoic room - hearing noise floor is ~ 10 dB higher just from wearing headphones

so basically not too bad - harmonic distortion, line harmonic tones well below human hearing threshold in quiet

really need the sample rate, fft length to interpret the noise floor, instrument loopack plots to see if line noise, spurs are instrument/setup or the amp

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #498 of 594
Quote:
really need the sample rate, fft length to interpret the noise floor, instrument loopack plots to see if line noise, spurs are instrument/setup or the amp

Nevertheless, I find it commendable that they submitted their amp for testing by an independent outfit, and published the results. Very few makers have done so.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #499 of 594
Published A result :wink:  What did the rest of the results look like?  I still bummed Tyll didn't test the amps in the round up :frowning2:

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #500 of 594
Published A result :wink:  What did the rest of the results look like?  I still bummed Tyll didn't test the amps in the round up :frowning2:

A result = more than what others have put forth. You know, wire with gain, no distortion and all :wink:

A result = a good start.

Like you say, wish there were more results, from more sources and on more amps.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #501 of 594
Almost makes me want to pull some favors with a friend at UL and get all these 3 amp to him for testing. I know my buddy from whom I've borrowed a BHSE late last year will let me have it, Alex can probably be persuaded to lend me one, and WES... I might just buy one for this purpose, unless I can find one to borrow (if anyone is willing to do so please PM me)

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #502 of 594
Quote:
A result = more than what others have put forth. You know, wire with gain, no distortion and all :wink:

A result = a good start.

Like you say, wish there were more results, from more sources and on more amps.

FYI: Kevin's amplifiers designs are in the open for everybody to see, and he is the only one who has contributed anything for free and for anyone who wants to build it.
I dont recall Cavalli's audio releasing their designs. May be you could ask him to release his design or sell you the PCB's. 
Why would anybody want to expend 5000.00 on a flawed design? (and I am not talking about the LF). 

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #505 of 594
Quote:

FYI: Kevin's amplifiers designs are in the open for everybody to see, and he is the only one who has contributed anything for free and for anyone who wants to build it.
I dont recall Cavalli's audio releasing their designs. May be you could ask him to release his design or sell you the PCB's. 
Why would anybody want to expend 5000.00 on a flawed design? (and I am not talking about the LF). 

Enjoy drinking the kool-aid much?

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #506 of 594
popcorn.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #509 of 594
Quote:

Are you being serious . How many currently manufactured commercial products have their designs published, let alone offer PCBs to anyone who wishes to make one. Papa Nelson releases his prior art when a product line has run its course for DIY purposes and he is the most gracious of all. He is even big enough not to enforce copyright when people do clone his designs for diy purposes. 

This perpetuation of a lie ( flawed design ) is getting old , the measurements and deserving praise from the owners speaks for itself. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #510 of 594
Quote:

Are you being serious . How many currently manufactured commercial products have their designs published, let alone offer PCBs to anyone who wishes to make one. Papa Nelson releases his prior art when a product line has run its course for DIY purposes and he is the most gracious of all. He is even big enough not to enforce copyright when people do clone his designs for diy purposes. 

This perpetuation of a lie ( flawed design ) is getting old , the measurements and deserving praise from the owners speaks for itself. 

I can't speak for gilency but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he wasn't referring to all of audio but only the designers of these amps.  As far as I know NP didn't design the WES, BHSE, or LL.  As for flawed design, I thought he was talking about the WES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back