SR 80's vs. AKG 240S? vs. Hd280's? vs.? (aka, help me, i'm confused)
Sep 17, 2005 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rdub

New Head-Fier
I thought i had settled on getting a pair of sr-80's, but i'm starting to have some doubts as to whether or not they'd optimally suit my listening needs.

Essentially i'm after a pair of full sized cans with the best sound that i can get all in for under US $100. I typically listen to predominantly electronic, indie and jazz music so i suppose good bass response would be nice, but better bass>more bass.

I'm starting to worry about the grado's as i'm going to be using them portably with no amplification some of the time and i'm worried my ipod mini isn't going to be able to drive them properly. Also, as i'm using them portably i'm worried about them leaking sound externally. I really could'nt care less if they let sound in, but i'm worried about disturbing people around me. (Implied question here for grado owners, how much sound do they leak at fairly high volume levels? is it enough that say, someone sitting beside you on a bus would be offended?)

Are there any closed phones in my afformentioned price range that can really stand toe to toe with the grado's? also how do the akg 240s compare? is there anything else that does a good job without amplification in my price range? (no canal phones please)

Essentially if you had a total budget of $100 to buy a set of full sized headphones for amplified home use and unamplified portable use, what would you get? Suggestions are greatly appreciated as they'll provide usefull avenues of research for me to follow up on.

Sep 17, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdub
I thought i had settled on getting a pair of sr-80's, but i'm starting to have some doubts as to whether or not they'd optimally suit my listening needs.

Essentially i'm after a pair of full sized cans with the best sound that i can get all in for under US $100. I typically listen to predominantly electronic, indie and jazz music so i suppose good bass response would be nice, but better bass>more bass.

I'm starting to worry about the grado's as i'm going to be using them portably with no amplification some of the time and i'm worried my ipod mini isn't going to be able to drive them properly. Also, as i'm using them portably i'm worried about them leaking sound externally. I really could'nt care less if they let sound in, but i'm worried about disturbing people around me. (Implied question here for grado owners, how much sound do they leak at fairly high volume levels? is it enough that say, someone sitting beside you on a bus would be offended?)

Are there any closed phones in my afformentioned price range that can really stand toe to toe with the grado's? also how do the akg 240s compare? is there anything else that does a good job without amplification in my price range? (no canal phones please)

Essentially if you had a total budget of $100 to buy a set of full sized headphones for amplified home use and unamplified portable use, what would you get? Suggestions are greatly appreciated as they'll provide usefull avenues of research for me to follow up on.

K240s for home and KSC75 for portable would be my suggestion.

I cant recommend any portable closed can really, I havent found one I like. Maybe MDRV6... but its mids are too harsh and the lower mid recession is excessive IMHO. I for one am not a fan of the HD280, as a music listening can.

Garrett

Sep 17, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
K240s for home and KSC75 for portable would be my suggestion.

I cant recommend any portable closed can really, I havent found one I like. Maybe MDRV6... but its mids are too harsh and the lower mid recession is excessive IMHO. I for one am not a fan of the HD280, as a music listening can.

Garrett

Do the K240s do well unamped? I'd be using them with a computer for gaming/music.

Sep 17, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n
Do the K240s do well unamped? I'd be using them with a computer for gaming/music.

IMHO they need a cmoy or govibe to shine. Unamped they sound a little conjested, but thats from my portable MP3. Although, my Denon 5.1 receiver certainly has enough power to drive them cleanly and dynamically. I also use them straight out of my philips aurilium DAC and they sound very good.

So, yes I would say they need some moderate amplification. Of course the higher up thje amp ladder you go the bigger they will sound.

Garrett

Sep 18, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 13
The K240s really require a decent amp to drive, but yeah it's overall sound is much better!
orphsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, In that case I may scratch it off my list. I'm very tempted to pick up an XD400... I've head such good things about them, and the price is right at around 65.00. The OP may want to check them out as well. I listen to a wide range of music, but generaly rock, alternative, acoustic, and abit of punk. Though, I must admit I've been listen to Motion City Soundtracks new CD a few times a day.
icon10.gif
In addition to music I also will be using them for gaming and ocasionaly movies.

Sep 18, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 13
My 240S work OK without an amp but you will not get the most of want they can do. When I travel, I take my Sony 7506 (V6) with me. They don't leak and do better than the 240S on a portable. All Grados leak and some people find them uncomfortable.

Sep 18, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 13
If your worried about people on a bus hearing music, grado's arent for you. My wife can hear my grado's 2 rooms away when I'm jammin'. Also, for the $100 I would skip the SR-80's and go for the MS-1's, but thats me. Or get the SR-60's and the KSC-75's.

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 13
IMHO, the AKG 240S aren't that great. Sound wise they are good, but comfort wise they are a true pain. Haven't used that many headphones, only ones have been hd580s, AKG 240S, and dt880s. (obviously I've used other headphones, but nothing note worthy) DT880s being the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, though i don't own them. The hd580s I currently use and am very happy with. AKGs though, I bought some time ago before the hd580s and just gave them to my parents. Just thought I'd add my two cents. On a side note, its weird posting here again. I haven't done so in a long time. I might just be getting back into headphones again.
580smile.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Rdub,
Here comes your Grado love and a no brainer...
Home use-Grado sr-60's, no question. Many people say they are the best cans for Rock only-b.s.-they rock period-I dont care what ur listening to.
You wont ever need an amp, and they can be had for $60. Wonderful.
You wanted to spend $100 total...
Pick up the Senn hd280pro for portability. Does not need an amp and fits your bill perfectly. Comfy phone with solid mids and highs-right up your musical alley. Also has very nice isolation and solid build. These will run you $99 on Headroom.
You now have two sets of cans, both highly and universally praised that dont need amps that cost the same as one headphone along with one amp.
Also, they will retain their value, so there is always be the option to sell these and upgrade later (although you prob. wont
k1000smile.gif
)
Now sit back and enjoy.

Oct 15, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm going with the HD280 Pros, because one, I have them, two, really comfortable, three good for hip-hop and electroic. I also use them to listen to rock and metal but I don't think they're the best for that because it seems to lack in mids and high bass. Like the distortion of the guitars doesn't seem to be as driving as they could be.

You can get them on here sometimes for $60, I got mine for $30 (thanks Kramer!)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back