SR-80's quick opinion
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jwalsh1

Head-Fier
Im sitting here listening to my "flying over oceans" mix through my MBook Pro and I just absolutely love these headphones.

"Show Us Your Homes" by Eluvium (an ambient artist whos known for a highly textured wall of sound sort of thing) came on and its just incredible. Lows are where I want them to be, highs to me are perfect, and most importantly, it all works together to give the song the emotional impact its supposed to have. Sounds weird, but theres a sort of distorted static thing going on in the background I never knew was there that adds another element to the song I never knew existed (I checked the phones first, its in the music!).

Moby's "A Season in hell" just came on. Its a slow song with slowly interweaving synth chords on top of a long slow synth bass line (no drums) and the highs of the chords were perfectly in balance with the low of the bass line IMO. These arent considered bass monsters, but to my ears, the bass line sounded like a somber low pipe organ in a church, you know the kind that MOVES you more than you hear. Again, all mixing together perfectly for the right emotional impact the song was intended to give.

The more I listen, the more I love these dang headphones. Im really glad I bought them.

I just had to get that out there, thanks!

By the way, damn you all! The last thing I needed was another expensive hobby!
smily_headphones1.gif

Back to my mix!
o2smile.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I have a 9-year-old pair of 80s, my first decent phones (and a gift from my wife), so mine are pretty well broken in, and I still love em. I did two things, one is tape mod the bowl pads (put a rim of electrical tape on the perimeter, right on the pad). Gives them a nice natural bass boost, but nothing bloaty. And the other, more recent, is match them up with an Amp3 (check the Portable Source Gear thread). If you think the 80s sound good now, you ain't heard nothing until you have them plugged into an Amp3 with about 400 hours on it. Sorry for your wallet. But the 80s are excellent. I may someday move to the 325s or higher.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Nice impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was just enjoying my pair of 80s on my walk home, straight from the iPod. They make great walking cans as their openness allows you to hear trouble like cars and stuff coming, plus their pads keep your ears warm on cool autumn nights.

EDIT: And they don't look as unweildy as my HD650s.
tongue.gif
Imagine wearing them in public? I've seen 595s before, but I can't imagine 650s.

p.s I'm sure someone actually has worn HD650s in public and will have their own opinion. I respect that.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 7
So I ditched the slow stuff, you know, to get ready for bed, and threw on some Gojira. "Heaviest Matter in the Universe" (which by the way, is the best metal song of 07').

This song has a long intro where theres a lot of blast beats and guitar cruchyness going on. Shortly thereafter theres a long scream overtop a long double bass line. On a few different sources, this portion distort and the scream sort of quickly ossillates from loud to soft to loud in between each bass drum hit. These here, theres none of that, everything is clear (though Im not sure Gojira, a band whos sound signature is mainly grungy/sludgy -environmentalist no less!-death metal is fair to use as an indication of clarity).

But the point is in something like this song the clarity and separation between instruments is striking.

Not to patronize or anything, but your sig made me do it. I threw on "A Fair Judgement" by Opeth. Is it just me or does this particular band just shine on these phones?

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 7
My girlfriend loves her SR80s. I moved on, but she's more than content with the SR80. That is... until she heard the RS1s at CanJam. But the price... oh my, the price.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 7
A "major jump" probably means different things to different people. To me, the 325s were just right at their price point. Coming from the SR80, the 325s were better overall (except for comfort). How much better? Honestly, it seems to vary from person to person. I thought the jump was worth it, but others may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back